Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sculpture Build For The Non-Mechanical Brewer  (Read 52222 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Sculpture Build For The Non-Mechanical Brewer
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:37 am »
Remeber measure all of your equipment( or any equipment you might buy or change :)) to make shelf heigths .Once welded you're committed. Another thing to consider on the top sides and bottom sides is to reverse the angle so it faces up then pots kind of lock in. If you use a cooler you could make a slight angle on middle shelf (wish I thought of this a couple years ago). Good luck on the build.

I will definitely take actual measurements of my equipment. But one nice thing about Sketchup is that you can scale your drawing in actual units of measurement.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:32 am »
Not sure why the images don't appear in the post.  When I created the post they appeared...  Anyway the brewstation I built also is also where I store my brewing equipment.. It has wheels on it so when I am ready to brew I wheel it out into the middle of the garage.  I store all of my equipment on it - even the propane tank. When I'm done I wheel it back into it's corner and hope the wife doesn't hit it when she pulls into the garage (which she's threatened to do many times).

I'm definitely going to use the stand for storage as well as brewing. I'll also be adding casters to my design so I can roll it out of the garage. Really, the trickiest thing will be making space in a one-stall garage!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Sculpture Build For The Non-Mechanical Brewer
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:08:22 am »
Not sure why the images don't appear in the post.  When I created the post they appeared...  Anyway the brewstation I built also is also where I store my brewing equipment.. It has wheels on it so when I am ready to brew I wheel it out into the middle of the garage.  I store all of my equipment on it - even the propane tank. When I'm done I wheel it back into it's corner and hope the wife doesn't hit it when she pulls into the garage (which she's threatened to do many times).

I'm definitely going to use the stand for storage as well as brewing. I'll also be adding casters to my design so I can roll it out of the garage. Really, the trickiest thing will be making space in a one-stall garage!

I would definitely put casters under it.  Even if you don't move it often you will need to move it.  For another $80-$90 mobility is more than worth it.  IMHO

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 09:07:30 am »
First, thanks for the Sketchup pointer.. I had totally forgotten about that.

Secondly, all I can say is watch for January's Zymurgy!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:16 pm »

I love the casters on mine!!  I do wish I bought ones with better wheel locks though. Mine can still roll if pushed firmly when locked.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »
Here is my completed drawing.  Do you guys think this is detailed enough for most welders?  Anything I should add?

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:56 pm »
Looks nice.  Are you using a pump and/or RIMS tube ? Might want to think about how they will be secured to it.
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:22:21 am »
It looks good, but it's missing several dimensions.  Length of the bottom tier and height of the risers off the top of my head.  I would also do two cross braces under the cooler for stability.
Tom Schmidlin

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »
I worked on the design a lot today.  I think I'm getting close to the final product.

Tom, I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to as "risers."  Also, there will be a flat slab of something (probably plywood) underneath the cooler, so I'm not sure I need an additional crossbar.

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:12 pm »
No worries, you added the dimensions :)  I was talking about the distance from the bottom tier to the 2nd tier, and from the 2nd tier to the top tier.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:48 pm »
In my experience, you will want the dimensions of absolutely everything.  Buy your casters and burners and take them with you to the welder.  To make sure your dimensions are right for your equipment, I suggest laying out masking tape on the floor and putting your kettles on it to make sure it will work. 

Build it large enough to go two batch sizes larger than you ever thing you will go, but still hold the kettles for the batch size where you are now. 

I looks like you are doing a cooler shelf.  If that's the case, put some heat shields on there.  You will melt it in no time having it that close to the burner.

For your bottom tier, you need to decide how you're going to get the beer to the fermenter.  You won't be able to gravity feed from 10" off the ground.  When I did this and overlooked that detail, I used a pump.  If you are using a pump anyway, I'd suggest going single tier.  It gets old lifting the water up to the top tier of a gravity system.  I have done it both ways, and while gravity is infinitely reliable, the single tier has lots of advantages. 

If you are worried about space, consider going for a folding shelf setup for the second tier.  If you go look at the pictures of my current stand and go back in the google album and look at my last stand, I had two folding shelves, one of which held the mashtun/cooler and the other that was a work station.  The whole stand stored in a 22"x22" space.

If you have a pump, get the welder to make a mount for it and a drip shield.  On your burner wind screens, make sure you leave them open on one side.  That way, you'll have a way to have your gas plumbing go to the burner and, also, you want there to be a way for fresh air to get in between the kettle and the burner for good combustion.

Get them to do everything you can think of the first time.  It is always more expensive to go back and add stuff later (ask me how I know).  With that in mind, if you ever think it is the slightest possibility that you will go to a kettle or keggle mash tun, get a heat shield and pot support put on that middle tier.  It makes it so much easier to add the burner if you go that route.  I never thought I would do it and spent extra when I changed my mind.

I have had two stands built by others based on pretty basic sketches.  My guys want me to supply all the details because they don't want to get blamed (based on experience dealing with others) if it doesn't end up right for some reason.

A work shelf is also a handy thing to have.  I didn't put one on my most recent stand and miss it.  Also, have them put some pegs to hold spoons/mash paddles.

Finally, when in doubt, build it stout.  Go big and robust.  If anything, it makes it easier to mount stuff to it later, like pump switches switches, control panels, and gas plumbing.

Good luck.  And keep the pictures coming.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:47:06 pm by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 07:15:08 am »
I've given a little more thought to the sculpture design and I think I'm going to go with a single tier stand.  Thanks to dcbc for the help/suggestions!  Here is my mockup.

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:17 am »
Looks good!  Where will you put the chiller?
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:54 am »
I'm going to mount a Therminator on the lower front crossbar where it meets the front right leg. The kettle on the far right will be my boil kettle.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline aa7yy

• Cellarman
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 11:45:30 am »
Well, in the title you started out as a "Non-Mechanical Brewer". Guess you decided to take it up a notch. Now you've added electricity, pumps and hoses, not to mention $$$$'s. Should keep you entertained.