General Category > Pimp My System

Sculpture Build For The Non-Mechanical Brewer

<< < (2/11) > >>

Pawtucket Patriot:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on October 09, 2012, 07:09:57 PM ---Why not build it out of wood?  Wood is much easier to work with and is cheaper than welding a steel one.  I have a 3-tier wooden gravity fed system, it works great.

--- End quote ---

I've thought about this, Tom.  I'm sure I could made a great sculpture with wood, but I sort of like the challenge of using steel.  Also, I would think the steel structure would offer a more long-term durability.  Here in Minnesota, where the winters can be brutal and the summers hot and humid, a wooden structure may become unstable over time.  I could be overthinking this (which I frequently do), but I've made the decision to go with steel.  Also, I can get angle iron pretty cheaply in Minneapolis.

AleForce:
Why not use SteelWorks pieces for your sculpture?  I built one out of that 2-3 years ago and it's still working away. When I first built it I was using 5 gal coolers, then moved up to 10 gal.... Last November I moved to 20 gal B.Boilermakers and it is still sturdy enough for that.

Recent:

older:

saintpierre:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on October 09, 2012, 07:09:57 PM ---Why not build it out of wood?  Wood is much easier to work with and is cheaper than welding a steel one.  I have a 3-tier wooden gravity fed system, it works great.

--- End quote ---
I did the same thing.  Although mine is technically a 2-tier since my burner is seperate.  I made mine out of 4x4's and notch cut for the 2x4 cross members.  It is solid.  The one down side is it is more flamable than metal  ;D

Slowbrew:

--- Quote from: saintsbrew on October 10, 2012, 06:39:24 AM ---

--- End quote ---
I did the same thing.  Although mine is technically a 2-tier since my burner is seperate.  I made mine out of 4x4's and notch cut for the 2x4 cross members.  It is solid.  The one down side is it is more flamable than metal  ;D

--- End quote ---

It could depend on how mobile the OP would like his stand to be and/or how elaborate he may want it to be.  Lots of factors will come into play but generally a metal stand is a bit lighter and more portable.  I tend to over build with wood so everything ends up weighing a ton.  I'm much more likely to be more conservative with metal.  There are so many options available that it is really comes down to what you want your build to be.

Have fun with it no matter how you decide to build it!

Paul

tschmidlin:
As long as you've thought about it. :)

The steel will certainly be more durable, my wooden one has only lasted me 10+ years ;D, and I have no idea how long the guy I bought it from had it.

As for weight, mine is in two sections that nest for stability.  No problems to move it around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version