Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blending with ale yeast and wine yeast  (Read 1457 times)

Offline captkirkles

• 1st Kit
Blending with ale yeast and wine yeast
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:39:50 am »
I am starting to research blending wine yeast and ale yeast for an upcomming beer.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I am thinking of doing dark strong ale or something belgian based and fermenting half with wine yeast and then blending before kegging.

If anyone has experience or can point me to topics already open about this, I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Blending with ale yeast and wine yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:37:30 am »
Having tried wine yeast on a couple batches years back, I can tell you that I wasn't happy with the results.  Maybe you have a different goal in mind than I did.  What is it you're trying to accomplish?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline captkirkles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 07:58:19 am »
Well it is something I have thought about and after listening to the Shea Comfort episone on the Brewing Network my interest has become even more elevated.  I am looking to do a dubbel and use the wine yeast to bring in some wine qualities.  I like big red wines and love the spicy fruit aroma/taste that some produce.  Maybe wine yeast are not needed but it is also a bit of experimentation. 

I guess I am just looking to see if anyone has had some experience with this to get some tips but maybe it'll be up to me to gain the knowledge.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 07:58:26 pm »
Any updates on your project Captain?