Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Over pitching/under pitching experiment  (Read 17766 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Over pitching/under pitching experiment
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »
I did a 10 gal batch of pale ale yesterday split into two pails.  I had a cake of WLP007 in the fridge.  It had been there about 5 days so it had really settled into a hard cake and I dumped off the remaining beer.  Being the idiot I am, I tried to pour half of it into each fermenter but instead, I brick of WLP007 went splashing into one bucket and there was about a teaspoon of yeast left in the container (probably about as much as in the original tube minus the liquid).  So, it got dropped into the other. 

I am tempted to leave them as is but what do you think would happen.  I can't do anything for the over pitched but I can top crop some over to the under pitched if necessary. 

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Over pitching/under pitching experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:18:36 pm »
I'm intrigued to find out how each beer turns out.....staying tuned in for this one :)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »
Let it fly and see what happens to the underpitched one.  If there is no activity in ~48 hours you can always add more yeast. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:41 pm »
I had a similar circumstance happen to me.  I put a blow off tube on the overpitched fermenter and attached it to the underpitched one.  Both beers came out great.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:01:42 pm »
It'll ferment. You might see a big lag. Interesting to see the difference in taste and quality when it turn out. You must report back!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Over pitching/under pitching experiment
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »
I had a similar circumstance happen to me.  I put a blow off tube on the overpitched fermenter and attached it to the underpitched one.  Both beers came out great.
I like this idea. It's top cropping without any of the work. And odds are, with the huge pitch on the first half, it will be spewing yeast over within a day or two.
Mark Gres

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:49:14 pm »
Yeah, blowing off from the overpitch to the underpitch is a great idea.  On the other hand, I would be tempted to let it ride for experimental purposes.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:06:12 pm »
I hadn't thought about that approach. I guess theoretically you could just go on forever by timing your batches every three days or so!

Of course this doesn't take into account any mutations and bacteria.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »
Ok. I will let it ride.
First report is that the overpitched is bubbling frantically with a huge krausen 24 hours after pitching. The under pitched still looks like wort with a few bubbles.
Nothing earth shattering there.
OG on this was 1.058 by the way so it's not a huge beer anyway.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »
Can't wait to hear the results.
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »
I'll stick my neck out there and make a prediction.

Overpitched will end up with more esters
underpitched will end up with more fuesels and possibly higher TG
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »
You could top-crop and screw the experiment! Save the Beer!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 04:47:52 pm »
After about 36-38 hours, the over-pitched beer has actually started to slow down dramatically.  I think it could be on the way to done but I've gotta pull a hydrometer sample to see.
The under-pitched is actively working and I'm not gonna top crop cause it is going strong but it is probably way behind.  Again, the hydrometer will have to tell the tale. 
I've gotta keg some beer tonight so when I have things sanitized I'll pull some samples but I figured an observation was probably due.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 06:53:51 am »

How did you release the pressure?  I'm picturing a blowoff tube from one grommet to another.  If that is the only outlet for each, how did you account for the change in pressure going in to the underpitched batch?  Or am I missing something obvious?  Happens to me sometimes..... ???

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:02 am »
How did you release the pressure?  I'm picturing a blowoff tube from one grommet to another.  If that is the only outlet for each, how did you account for the change in pressure going in to the underpitched batch?  Or am I missing something obvious?  Happens to me sometimes..... ???

Carboy caps would work, methinks. Airlock in one hole and a tube in the other?
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa