Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Red Hoptober  (Read 11723 times)

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Red Hoptober
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 09:16:55 am »
Yeah, I wasn't that excited about it either. Odell's seasonal red, however, is great.

NB Red Hoptober was good, but as others have said, nothing to get too excited about. Now, Odell's seasonal Red Ale is very good!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:57 am »
Yeah, I wasn't that excited about it either. Odell's seasonal red, however, is great.

NB Red Hoptober was good, but as others have said, nothing to get too excited about. Now, Odell's seasonal Red Ale is very good!
I love Odell's beers, I wish I could get them here in Iowa.  Cutthroat porter, the IPA, and the seasonal Red, are all really good. Mountain Standard is the sh*t too.
Jesse

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 10:30:01 am »
Had it on tap a couple of weeks ago.  I liked it.  Won't set the world on fire, but very drinkable.  I actually like it better than a number of their other beers.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:17 am »

I love Odell's beers, I wish I could get them here in Iowa.  Cutthroat porter, the IPA, and the seasonal Red, are all really good. Mountain Standard is the sh*t too.

was in boulder this weekend and had a glass of odells richard lifter on cask. yum. just the dales pale but fermented with scottish yeast and dry hopped with simcoe.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 11:40:56 am »

was in boulder this weekend and had a glass of odells richard lifter on cask. yum. just the dales pale but fermented with scottish yeast and dry hopped with simcoe.

don't you mean Oskar Blues?  confused...

hey anyone got a recipe for the Odells Red?  never had, but there is a lot of love for the beer, and since I can't get it here, might as well make it...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:58 am »
liked the hops, and usually like quite a bit of caramel in ambers, but found this to be on the dark side, rather like burnt sugar, to go with quite a bit of a biscuit/bread crust flavor.  Hint of roasted grain in the finish helps out the overall impression.  Not bad at all, but will agree with the others who have said Odell's Red kicks it's tail...

cheers--
--Michael

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 01:19:22 pm »

don't you mean Oskar Blues?  confused...

hey anyone got a recipe for the Odells Red?  never had, but there is a lot of love for the beer, and since I can't get it here, might as well make it...

right you are. my bad. had some good odells though, the 80 shilling
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 02:21:07 pm »

Odell's 90 Schilling (is that what you meant?) is my go-to beer around town, I love it to death. Odell's IPA is a very close second though.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 02:26:54 pm »

Odell's 90 Schilling (is that what you meant?) is my go-to beer around town, I love it to death. Odell's IPA is a very close second though.

man, 0-2, just not my day I guess.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:12 pm »
i have been underwhelmed by new belgium. they have had some okay products but i usually will seek out something else.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »
i have been underwhelmed by new belgium. they have had some okay products but i usually will seek out something else.

as a general rule I agree. The 'lips of faith' series has some highlights though.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »
Ranger IPA is decent. But I'm not a huge fan of their beers. This why I asked before buying a six-pack of Red Hoptober!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 04:25:16 pm »
Ranger IPA is decent. But I'm not a huge fan of their beers. This why I asked before buying a six-pack of Red Hoptober!

I think New Belgium has some good beers (1554, Ranger, Trippel, some of their Lips of Faith beers and I like their new Shift beer) but some are a little over rated.  Odell, which is right down the road from NB, constantly puts out great beers.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Red Hoptober
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 04:27:28 pm »
I really like the Blue Paddle pils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 06:11:37 pm »

I think New Belgium has some good beers (1554, Ranger, Trippel, some of their Lips of Faith beers and I like their new Shift beer) but some are a little over rated. 

+1 on that!  There are many I like, but several I don't see much use for.  Fat Tire is one that I'll drink only in a pinch.  I'm glad someone likes it since it funds the brewing of their other 'good' beers.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks