Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White house beer brewed by Garret Oliver  (Read 5097 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
White house beer brewed by Garret Oliver
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:45 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/dining/reviews/a-white-house-beer-we-can-believe-in.html?ref=dining

This article makes the whole process seem kind of whimsical and the tasting notes are a little over the top in my opinion but it's nice to see beer making it in the dining/wine section of the New York Times.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: White house beer brewed by Garret Oliver
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:56 am »
Sounds tasty! I think this is is the first set of descriptive tasting notes we've seen other than "it's good".

I really am going to try the WH recipe. It's not a complicated one, and that's right up my alley. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline wissota

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:23:59 am »
Great article.  What I don't understand is the color that they ended up with.  I just brewed this and ended up with an srm of about 7.  And if you look at pics of the white house beer you'll see it's a pale yellow.   I know there is variation in the honey color, but I can't see getting a brown-red color with that grain bill.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:49:08 am »
Great article.  What I don't understand is the color that they ended up with.  I just brewed this and ended up with an srm of about 7.  And if you look at pics of the white house beer you'll see it's a pale yellow.   I know there is variation in the honey color, but I can't see getting a brown-red color with that grain bill.

The color of honey is widely variable. I have seen honey that is nearly clear all the way to nearly opaque brown. I'm not saying that is the difference between the WH brew and the GO brew but it could well make a significant difference.

The picture of the WH brew I found with a quick google search could well match that of GO's brew if you take into account the lighting differences, honey variation and the vague 'amber crystal' ingredient which I imagine could be anything from C30 to C60. Although I would guess it was meant to be around c45.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce