Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Mexican and Indian cookbooks?  (Read 8853 times)

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
Re: Best Mexican and Indian cookbooks?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:40 am »
My favorite Indian cookbook is Curried Favors by Maya Kaimal Macmillan. Lots of fantastic recipies from all over India (though the focus is Southern India) and very easy to understand. I love Indian food, cook it at least once a week, and this is my go-to cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Curried-Favors-Family-Recipes-South/dp/0789206285/ref=pd_sim_b_57
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 01:51:17 pm »
Diane Kennedy's Cuisines of Mexico, and Mexican Regional Cooking.  I don't have her Tortilla Book.

As for the "lard" recommendations, good luck finding good lard that isn't the white, tasteless crap sold everywhere.  Diane Kennedy has a recipe for making your own.

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 04:16:17 pm »
As for the "lard" recommendations, good luck finding good lard that isn't the white, tasteless crap sold everywhere.  Diane Kennedy has a recipe for making your own.

Do this. It's so easy. Next time you get a pork loin, get it from the grower at a farmer's market. Ask them not to trim it. Trim it yourself and render the trimmings. Back fat is easy to work with. I run mine through the meat grinder and throw it in a Dutch oven on the side burner while I'm doing ribs.  8)
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »
Not sure if it is still in print but the book that taught me how to cook Mexican food is "The Border Cookbook, Authentic Home Cooking of the American Southwest and Northern Mexico" by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison. Awesome tamale, tortilla, creme freche, chilli, enchillada and soups recipes. Highly recommend "Terlingua Bowl of Red" chili recipe which is made with smoked chuck roast. Some of the best mexican food you ever did put in your mouth.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 07:42:31 pm »

There's a pig farm not too far outside the Twin Cities that renders fresh pork lard into quart-sized mason jars.  I haven't had time to go out there to get some yet, but it's on my list of things to do before summer is over!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »
I ended up getting the Bayless and the Jaffrey books.  Based on a cursory glance, I'm liking the Bayless, not so sure on the Jaffrey yet.  I think I'll make some stuff out of the Bayless first.

As for lard, I'm pretty sure I can find some mennonites around here that render their own lard.  Otherwise, it's probably gonna be Tenderflake (the white crappy kind).

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:32 am »

There's a pig farm not too far outside the Twin Cities that renders fresh pork lard into quart-sized mason jars.  I haven't had time to go out there to get some yet, but it's on my list of things to do before summer is over!

And while your at it Matt, stop off at the hospital and have a few stents put in your arteries. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 08:57:19 am »
My wife made tamales for my birthday recently. She tried a few tweaks from the usual recipe. One was getting freshly-ground masa from a tortilleria, and the other was rendering our own lard.

The lard we got was probably ground fatback, but was just labeled "lard." We got it at a Mennonite grocery for like $2. Apparently the unrendered, raw fat is commonly called "lard" too. As you render the lard, you get less and less pure lard, and more pork flavor. If you're using the lard for pastries that might be an issue, but for tamales the pork flavor is fine.

The bad thing about using fresh masa is you can't infuse the masa with flavorful broth. It's already about as wet as it needs to be.

Overall, I'd say using fresh lard and fresh masa is maybe 10% better, but if you have to render the lard yourself or grind the masa yourself, it's not worth it, to me. 
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »

And while your at it Matt, stop off at the hospital and have a few stents put in your arteries. ;)

Ha!  But lard just goes so well with my already high blood pressure and high cholesterol.   ;D
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial