Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Returning Commercial Kegs  (Read 5426 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Returning Commercial Kegs
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:48 pm »
A friend just called me because a caterer left a bunch of empty sankey kegs behind after an event and he wants to know what do with them.

Will any old liquor store take these things back?  The caterer apparently is not returning.

Obviously, they're usable and should be returned.  Just not sure the easiest way to do it.

I figured someone here would know...
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:07 pm »
A friend just called me because a caterer left a bunch of empty sankey kegs behind after an event and he wants to know what do with them.

Will any old liquor store take these things back?  The caterer apparently is not returning.

Obviously, they're usable and should be returned.  Just not sure the easiest way to do it.

I figured someone here would know...

I think I'd try the distributor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Returning Commercial Kegs
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:44:01 pm »
Thanks.  That's worth a shot.  I'll tell him to try there, but figuring out who has the distributorship might be difficult.

I have no idea how they carve up the city... Not my problem though.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:50:50 pm »
A neighbor of mine gave me a half barrel keg once that he had forgotten to take back to the store for 8 months (it got stacked behind the garage) and he didn't want bother with it.  The distributor was stamped on the keg.  I called them and explained why I had it.  They gave me the address to drop it off at.  That was one confused warehouse receiving clerk.   ;D

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 01:01:45 pm »
What would the best way to get the deposit back be?  Maybe call the distributor and say you are the caterer and want to know how to get your deposit back.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:04:14 pm »
Not really looking to get a deposit back.  Just trying to figure out an easy way to get the kegs returned.

Otherwise, they'll get put out on a dock by the trash and a scavenger will grab them.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:08:17 pm »
Not really looking to get a deposit back.  Just trying to figure out an easy way to get the kegs returned.

Otherwise, they'll get put out on a dock by the trash and a scavenger will grab them.

It isn't likely the distributor has the deposit anyway.  Returning them would gain you karma points but that's about it.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:30 am »
My local bottle shop will take them from me and put them back in the pipeline.  He also pays deposits even on kegs he didn't sell, because he gets the deposit from the distributor anyway so it doesn't matter to him.  The distributor won't give me the deposit, but they'll give it to him.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 05:58:52 am »
Part of the problem is the distributors don't care because they have no skin in the game. Our local lost almost $45k in kegs in one year because the distributor did not track them down, or perhaps better said, did not track them at all. For a small brewery that is a kiss of death and they are lucky they got by.

Good on you for trying to return the kegs. If it were me I'd go to my local bottle shop who sells kegged beer and ask if I could leave them with him. They generally will be in contact with all the major distributors.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:59:49 pm »
I would also say bring them back to the liquor store (or friendly bar). They can get it back to the system. Going back to the distributor can be confusing.

Thank you for trying to bring kegs back. If it is local brewery you can contact them directly. They will be more than happy to get their kegs back.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:59 pm »

Thank you for trying to bring kegs back. If it is local brewery you can contact them directly. They will be more than happy to get their kegs back.

Happy indeed!  I found a keg from a small brewery on the coast along the side of the road.  I drove over and returned it to them.  They were stunned somebody would do that and gave me free food and beer all afternoon.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:08 pm »

Happy indeed!  I found a keg from a small brewery on the coast along the side of the road.  I drove over and returned it to them.  They were stunned somebody would do that and gave me free food and beer all afternoon.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 07:29:49 am »

It isn't likely the distributor has the deposit anyway.  Returning them would gain you karma points but that's about it.

Paul

That depends. A lot of distributors charge the deposit. Sometimes the brewery charges a deposit to the distributor and the distributor charges the deposit to the establishment the keg is sold too. I can tell you lots of horror stories about distro's "forgetting about kegs".

Joe - If you want some karma points, call the brewery and tell them what you saw. Let them handle the distro. Guarantee you they want their kegs back.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:30:06 am »
I would also say bring them back to the liquor store (or friendly bar). They can get it back to the system. Going back to the distributor can be confusing.

I reached out to a friend who is neighbors with the guy that owns the local (and most awesome) Belgian beer bar here on the north side.  I figure he'll take them and get them returned, but I haven't heard back.

The only problem I see is the kegs are sitting down town and someone would need to lug them all the way up here (not really that far, but...).  I don't go down town often, and my poor little GTI won't hold too much.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 08:02:34 am »
As the major suggests let the brewery know and they'll send someone to pick them up.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis