Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My First Cider  (Read 7142 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
My First Cider
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:17:48 pm »
I started my first cider ever on September 16th.  5 gallons local cider, campden tablet for 24 hours then pitched Lavlin 71b yeast and did a primary for about 3 weeks.  Transferred from a bucket to a carboy and aged another 2+ weeks.  I transferred to another carboy tonight and took a sample to taste.  It was a tart, metallic taste and a bit of sulfur aroma. 

Any suggestions why there is a metallic taste, or is this normal before backsweetening it?

Thank you for your assistance...I promise to include you in my acceptance speech for the Ninkasi award  ;D
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My First Cider
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:51:03 pm »
I'd say it's just young.  I give my ciders a couple months in primary, maybe 3-6 months in secondary and then a good bottle aging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
+1

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 06:51:10 am »
I'd say it's just young.  I give my ciders a couple months in primary, maybe 3-6 months in secondary and then a good bottle aging.

Whoops...I guess I jumped the gun a bit.  I thought it wasn't good to leave it in primary for an extended time due to yeast autolysis.  My gravity was right around 1.000 when I transferred to secondary.  I moved it last night to get it off the lees but will leave it in this one for a few months, then possibly keg it.

I assume you back sweeten it right at packaging time.

Thanks.  This makes me feel better because it really tasted awful last night.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Metalic could be a sanitation issue.  Suflur will drop with age.  Let it sit thru Feb/March.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 06:54:25 am »
I also think that the taste of extremely dry cider could be considered metallic, hard to say without tasting it of course. If that is the case, backsweetening will fix it. You could sweeten a sample to check. Generally though, aging will help.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958