Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2012 Hop Crop?  (Read 22316 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: 2012 Hop Crop?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:38 pm »
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
They said 5pm PST, which is 7pm for me. I got on at about 6:57pm CST and they were almost gone already.  I just want to say that I am disappointed, depressed, disheartened. I know they're just hops and all...but come on...
 I didn't know they'd post them for sale until 5pm PST until about 3pm my time, so I was hitting refresh ALL DAY. I had even set a reminder a week or two ago to check in the morning.  I know life isn't fair and all, but how could they sell out in a matter of minutes?  Puts the cherry on top of an already sh*t day.
Jesse

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 09:17:54 pm »
They said 5pm PST, which is 7pm for me. I got on at about 6:57pm CST and they were almost gone already.  I just want to say that I am disappointed, depressed, disheartened. I know they're just hops and all...but come on...
 I didn't know they'd post them for sale until 5pm PST until about 3pm my time, so I was hitting refresh ALL DAY. I had even set a reminder a week or two ago to check in the morning.  I know life isn't fair and all, but how could they sell out in a matter of minutes?  Puts the cherry on top of an already sh*t day.
They had less than 150 pounds of Citra when I was there at 6:50 or so CST. My guess is that they couldn't get much, since it wasn't from their own farm. So even limiting to 1 pound per order didn't take long to clean them out.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2012, 07:11:25 am »
I'm coming to the realization that I won't get any Amarillo hops this year and it feels like I've lost a loved one. :'(
Dan Chisholm

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2012, 08:12:09 am »
I'm coming to the realization that I won't get any Amarillo hops this year and it feels like I've lost a loved one. :'(
Turn that frown into a smiley?
http://www.freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=HOPS&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/hops.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:11 am »
Turn that frown into a smiley?
http://www.freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=HOPS&keywords=all&template=PDGCommTemplates/hops.html
Thanks Jeff! I prefer pellets, but I will take what I can get at this point.
Dan Chisholm

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2012, 02:35:27 pm »
You know, in the past that when the hops I wanted weren't available, I took my bad luck as an opportunity to try out different hop varieties. A few years back during the hop crisis (was it 2008?), there wasn't as much demand for Nelson Sauvin, and I was pretty happy with the beers it made. Two years ago, I wasn't able to get any Simcoe, so I bought a pound of Apollo and was surprised by how bold and interesting the flavor and aroma was (I still consider it to be the #1 most underrated hop). So I say, try out some varieties you aren't familiar with. I know that, despite the "onion/garlic" thing many people get from Summit, I love that hop, and it is usually pretty readily available. And for every wonderful Simcoe/Amarillo IPA out there, there are plenty of delicious Summit/Apollo beers waiting to be brewed.

Offline beerlord

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2012, 02:48:51 pm »
Farmhouse Brewing Supply should have some Simcoe in tomorrow.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »
You know, in the past that when the hops I wanted weren't available, I took my bad luck as an opportunity to try out different hop varieties. A few years back during the hop crisis (was it 2008?), there wasn't as much demand for Nelson Sauvin, and I was pretty happy with the beers it made. Two years ago, I wasn't able to get any Simcoe, so I bought a pound of Apollo and was surprised by how bold and interesting the flavor and aroma was (I still consider it to be the #1 most underrated hop). So I say, try out some varieties you aren't familiar with. I know that, despite the "onion/garlic" thing many people get from Summit, I love that hop, and it is usually pretty readily available. And for every wonderful Simcoe/Amarillo IPA out there, there are plenty of delicious Summit/Apollo beers waiting to be brewed.
I agree with you and I'll have to try some Apollo.  I did order some Simcoe and Amarillo from Fresh hops though because I just can't do without them.
Dan Chisholm

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 07:48:31 am »
I agree with you and I'll have to try some Apollo.  I did order some Simcoe and Amarillo from Fresh hops though because I just can't do without them.
I'm with you, I love Simcoe. And Amarillo has pretty much been impossible to get since I started brewing 4 years ago, so I haven't even bothered trying to get them much.  Someday...
But I like the idea of trying out different hops when you can't get the ones you really want.
Jesse

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 02:44:55 pm »
My hops came in the mail today.  Let's just say I'm doin' an Amarillo/Simcoe dance :D
Dan Chisholm