Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Labs trial fermentation data  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
White Labs trial fermentation data
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:46:13 am »
Running my own yeast bank usually keeps me away from White Labs and Wyeast's web sites but I'm glad I just checked out White Labs.

They recently added data from standardized mini fermentation for some of their strains. This is pretty cool. However, they don't list the limit of attenuation of the wort that was used for the tests. I have to ask them about this.

Kai

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: White Labs trial fermentation data
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:10 am »
I looked at them and was surprised by their diacetyl numbers. They have WLP 800 Pilsner yeast measuring 70 ppb diacetyl, and 830 German Pilsner yeast as producing 221 ppb diacetyl.
I thought it would be the other way around.
Any thoughts?
Brew on

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 10:25:20 am »
I looked at them and was surprised by their diacetyl numbers. They have WLP 800 Pilsner yeast measuring 70 ppb diacetyl, and 830 German Pilsner yeast as producing 221 ppb diacetyl.
I thought it would be the other way around.
Any thoughts?

They are fermenting lagers at 55 F (~12 C) which is on the upper end of the accepted temp range. In addition to that they don't explain was "As is" and "Total diacetyl" is.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:33:20 am »
My experiences with White Labs have been helpful. They are willing to provide as much info. as they can. I've had phone conversations with their staff several times, some of which have been over a half hour each.
Ron Price

Offline bo_gator

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 06:23:40 pm »
My experiences with White Labs have been helpful. They are willing to provide as much info. as they can. I've had phone conversations with their staff several times, some of which have been over a half hour each.
It took 1/2 an hour for them to convince you to read the tube where it says PITCHABLE IN 5 GALLONS OF WORT ;D
All views expressed in the above post are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of any other member of the AHA, BJCP, or home brew community at large.   

Home Brew’s curmudgeon at large

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »
It took 1/2 an hour for them to convince you to read the tube where it says PITCHABLE IN 5 GALLONS OF WORT ;D

I tried that once.  ;D
Ron Price