Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SS Kettle MLT Question  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
SS Kettle MLT Question
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:05:34 am »
For those of you who use a SS kettle as your MLT, what is your preferred method for draining the wort?  False bottom?  Mesh braid?  Something else?

Also, if you're using a false bottom in this situation, do you also need to add some sort of filter to the ball valve (the end that is inside the kettle) to prevent grain particles from getting through and/or clogging the valve?

Edit: let me clarify that I am talking specifically about a megapot false bottom, which does not have a steel elbow connection to connect to the ball valve.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:35:23 am by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: SS Kettle MLT Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:59:04 am »
I have a Pico system, and the pick up is below the false bottom. If the fit to the kettle is tight and I recirculate, I don't have much comming through.

It looks like this.
http://www.homebrewing.org/Stainless-Steel-PICO-style-keg-kettle-false-bottom-wsupports_p_1010.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
I have a sabco false bottom, which has a hole in the middle for a pick up tube.  I recirculate until clear.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:14 am »
I have the equivalent of a 20 gallon megapot (exact same triclad bottom kettle, purchased from a different source).  I bought a false bottom from the place where I purchased the kettle.  I run a copper dip tube to the center of the kettle beneath the false bottom.  I do a direct fired RIMS and, thus, recirculate with a pump throughout the mash.  The valve and pump do not get clogged.  When I had a cooler, I used a bazooka screen.  When I went to the kettle, I figured that the false bottom would be better suited for pumping the mash liquor (versus the gravity fed system I used with the cooler).  I don't know if that's the case, but it seems logical to me.

Something to consider if you are coming from a cooler with a braid and go to a false bottom.  You will need to add more strike water to account for the height of the false bottom.  For me, this was 2.5 gallons more.  If you do go with a braid or bazooka screen and will be pumping to recirculate or transfer, you might consider using a grant, gravity drain into the grant, and run the pump off the grant output.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:24:29 am by dcbc »
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »
I have a converted keg with a false bottom.  I don't use a screen on the ball valve, I recirculate until no large particles are coming out, then I pass the wort through a mesh after the valve on the way to the kettle.  No problems.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 04:31:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Are you guys that are using this sort of configuration batch or fly sparging?  I plan to batch sparge with my kettle MLT.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial