Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Our Vineyard  (Read 5464 times)

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
Our Vineyard
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:13:53 pm »
My wife and I have a small vineyard that we planted 5 years ago.  This year was an awesome growing year in Oregon.  We harvested our grapes on Friday and ended up with 470 lbs of Pinot Noir and 140 lbs of Pinot Gris.  There are still about 50 lbs of Riesling that are not ready yet.  Having a vineyard is really a lot of work between April and October and it keeps us from having time to brew beer, however, it does feel good to have a good payoff from our efforts.  Now that harvest is over, we are looking forward to getting back to brewing.  Here are some pictures of this years efforts.

Pinot Noir

Pinot Gris

140 lbs Pinot Gris

470 lbs Pinot Noir

Crushed Pinot Gris

Crushed Pinot Noir

Three Pinot Noir clones, 115, 667, 777.  Each are being fermented with different yeasts.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: Our Vineyard
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:41 pm »
Wow, way to go Tom! If your wines are 1/4 as good as your beers I'd trade my favorite dog to taste them.
What acreage is devoted to grapes?

My Husband and I have discussed the idea, but have been unwilling to bite off the commitment yet. We live on a rocky knoll where probably the only thing that would grow would be grapes. We have an acre or so that would probably work for grapes.

Do you do anything commercially with your wines, or is it strictly a labor of love.

Raising a glass of APA to your efforts. Glad the weather cooperated. It has been an awesome summer...

Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »
Good on ya, Tom!  You guys make me feel so lazy!  OK, I guess I am.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:41:35 pm »
Thanks Diane.  Our vineyard is close to half an acre.  It is not big enough to do anything with it commercially.  Our friends a street over have 2 acres in vines and they have enough to do something commercially with a growers privilege permit.  I would think that 2 acres would be a minimum.
Cascade Brewers Society

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:56 am »
Very nice! I love the seasonal nature of wine and cider production. It's something you don't get from brewing.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:16:11 am »
That is simply amazing! Beautiful too.

Looks like you've animal proofed them with the netting/mesh.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »
Very nice! I love the seasonal nature of wine and cider production. It's something you don't get from brewing.

Yeah, the apple harvest has big this year too.  We have picked over 500 lbs off of our trees.  There is still a whole lot more still on the trees.  Dried some, lots of apple sauce canned, 26 qts of juice canned, 20 gallons cider fermenting.

Here are two different pressings, about 2 weeks apart.  Interesting how the earlier pressing (the two on the right) is so much darker than the newer one.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 07:52:30 pm »
Our apple trees are so laden we've had several branches break off.  Maybe now Paula will believe in pruning!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:19:13 pm »
In my area we have 0 apples at the orchards. Damn 90F weather the first week of March, followed by a freeze.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:22:14 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that.  Around here, there are trees everywhere loaded with fruit.  Most are just letting the fruit fall and rot.  I always think how nice it would be to be able to harvest all that fruit.  With the cycle of things, we probably will have a light crop next year.
Cascade Brewers Society

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:22:40 am »
Iowa is having a terrible apple crop too.  It's funny that this situation can be good and bad.

It sucks for me in Des Moines but it has been a god send at my mother-in-law's house.  She's in her mid 80s, has 4 apple trees (30 year old trees) and just can't throw out any of the fruit.  This year she doesn't have to since there isn't any.  The other good side is that maybe she'll use the 100 bushels (hyperbole I know but she has a lot) she has stashed around the house from the last 10 years.

Your vinyard is beautiful.  That's yet another thing for the "mythical acreage" someday.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 11:16:38 pm »
Our tree is covered with apples, we're getting a lot this year.  Our grapes came in for the first time, just some table grapes.  Our wine grapes aren't ready yet.

Most impressive tfries, that's a great harvest and a lot of wine!
Tom Schmidlin