General Category > Other Fermentables

My First Cider

(1/2) > >>

theDarkSide:
I started my first cider ever on September 16th.  5 gallons local cider, campden tablet for 24 hours then pitched Lavlin 71b yeast and did a primary for about 3 weeks.  Transferred from a bucket to a carboy and aged another 2+ weeks.  I transferred to another carboy tonight and took a sample to taste.  It was a tart, metallic taste and a bit of sulfur aroma. 

Any suggestions why there is a metallic taste, or is this normal before backsweetening it?

Thank you for your assistance...I promise to include you in my acceptance speech for the Ninkasi award  ;D

denny:
I'd say it's just young.  I give my ciders a couple months in primary, maybe 3-6 months in secondary and then a good bottle aging.

skrag6713:
+1

theDarkSide:

--- Quote from: denny on October 17, 2012, 06:51:03 PM ---I'd say it's just young.  I give my ciders a couple months in primary, maybe 3-6 months in secondary and then a good bottle aging.

--- End quote ---

Whoops...I guess I jumped the gun a bit.  I thought it wasn't good to leave it in primary for an extended time due to yeast autolysis.  My gravity was right around 1.000 when I transferred to secondary.  I moved it last night to get it off the lees but will leave it in this one for a few months, then possibly keg it.

I assume you back sweeten it right at packaging time.

Thanks.  This makes me feel better because it really tasted awful last night.

realbeerguy:
Metalic could be a sanitation issue.  Suflur will drop with age.  Let it sit thru Feb/March.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version