Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: recipes having no carbonation level indicated  (Read 998 times)

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
Re: recipes having no carbonation level indicated
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 09:29:36 am »
Denny,
The tool does ask for the temperature of storage area for the bottles or kegs.

ynotbrusum,
I tried kegging once but I found it too easy to pour one more beer. At least the empty bottles serve as a reminder. Besides on bottling day, once everything is sanitized, it only takes about 45 minutes in the kitchen to fill and cap the bottles.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2023, 09:29:59 am »
I like the fact that I see more and more recipes that describe the water profile used.

I carbonate based on the style charts coupled with my personal preference so it’s a non-issue for me personally.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2023, 10:05:02 am »
Denny,

ynotbrusum,
I tried kegging once but I found it too easy to pour one more beer. At least the empty bottles serve as a reminder. Besides on bottling day, once everything is sanitized, it only takes about 45 minutes in the kitchen to fill and cap the bottles.

It's not about storage temp, it's about fermentation temp. The colder you ferment, the more CO2 remains in solution and the less priming you need. And vice versa.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 11:12:51 am »
Denny,

ynotbrusum,

It's not about storage temp, it's about fermentation temp. The colder you ferment, the more CO2 remains in solution and the less priming you need. And vice versa.
And the "fermentation" temperature includes not just the active fermentation but all the time up until packaging. I do a cold crash down to 34F and am always impressed at how much extra CO2 is dissolved over the course of a couple of days at that temperature. I have a mylar balloon on my fermenter to provide the CO2, so I can look at it and tell how much has been taken out of it.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 12:42:24 pm »
Denny,

ynotbrusum,

And the "fermentation" temperature includes not just the active fermentation but all the time up until packaging. I do a cold crash down to 34F and am always impressed at how much extra CO2 is dissolved over the course of a couple of days at that temperature. I have a mylar balloon on my fermenter to provide the CO2, so I can look at it and tell how much has been taken out of it.
Your experience with the amount of CO2 dissolving during cold crashing is very interesting. Brewers Friend (https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/) says this:
"However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point." They may be interested in hearing about your results.

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2023, 02:20:38 pm »
Denny,
I live and learn, in this case regarding carbonation and fermentation. Had not really thought about it as I generally brew ales in the low to mid 60s degrees and that is where my basement stays.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2023, 08:08:17 pm »
Denny,

ynotbrusum,

Your experience with the amount of CO2 dissolving during cold crashing is very interesting. Brewers Friend (https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/) says this:
"However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point." They may be interested in hearing about your results.
Hmmm, tempting as it is, I think I will pass on getting involved in an online debate. :) I know what I see and that is all that matters to me. Initially, I thought that the amount of CO2 needed during a cold crash would be just from PV=NRT in the head space, which should all be finished once the final temperature was achieved. I was surprised to find that CO2 was being consumed slowly for days after the temperature had stabilized, and I eventually realized it was from CO2 dissolving into the liquid. I don't have anything quantitative on the subject, but I know it is happening.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023, 09:44:44 am »
my experience on that is that i have to use much less priming sugar when i bottle beers that spent a significant amount of their time fermenting and stored cold in carboy, even if i give them a good week at warm room temp to reduce diacetyl. i just look at past beers fermented like this for guidelines on how much sugar rather than the priming calculator website