Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for boil tips  (Read 3174 times)

Offline trentmark

• 1st Kit
  • Homebrewer
Looking for boil tips
« on: October 18, 2012, 11:28:03 am »
Boiling 14 gallons in a 15 gallon pot is a challenge. For my last batch, I collected 13 gallons of wort then 30 minutes into the boil I added 1 gallon of boiling water just prior to the first hop addition. This approached worked fine as far as hitting the required amount of boiled wort. Question: Are there any problems to this method regarding the finished beer? Also: Does anyone have other solutions to boiling in an undersized vessel?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Looking for boil tips
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 11:44:19 am »
I too boil 14 gallons in a 15 gallon pot.  I don't see an issue with your method.  Fermcap is one way to stop boilovers but I'm not a fan and I've heard some negative things about it.  With a careful eye and quick temperature adjustments, boilovers can usually be averted.  I've topped off my fermenters with water just prior to pitching the yeast in the past as well, but made the adjustments in my brewing software ahead of time to compensate for the dilution.

Now I just keep a close eye on it until the first gallon or so is boiled off and then boil more vigorously.

Dave 
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
Yeah, I just watch really closely and feather the flame if it starts to get out of control. Or stir the pot. I have heard that other have good luck with a spray bottle of water to knock down the break foam.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:30 pm »
Yeah, I just watch really closely and feather the flame if it starts to get out of control. Or stir the pot. I have heard that other have good luck with a spray bottle of water to knock down the break foam.

+1 to the water spray bottle.  It really helps....forgot about that.
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:05:14 pm »
The spray bottle is a good approach though the Fermcap or 5-Star does work extremely well. I even put it in my water sometimes when doing a lot of pasta.

I have an 80qt kettle and used to stubbornly fill it to within an inch of the top. It was a real PITA- hovering and feathering and the wort frequently leaping out, splashing, burning and wastefully making a mess just isn't my idea of a good time. So I reduced the amount to no more than 15 gallons to end up with 12. I always recommend getting the proper size equipment for the volume you want to deal with due to these experiences. Boiling 14 in a 15 gallon pot while possible just isn't good brewing IMO.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »
add your bittering hops shortly before the boil starts. The added nucleation sites will make it easier to control the foam.

Kai

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »
Kaiser beat me to it.  I remembered as I looked at a recipe that first wort hopping was really helping with boilovers as well. 

I also agree with Euge that a 20G kettle would be much better.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline ryanheath

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 07:49:51 am »
Another alternative to the spray bottle that works well for me is keeping a hair dryer handy and using it to knock down the foam. Ive mounted one and let it run the whole boil before while i cleaned equipment near by.