Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: raisins  (Read 6960 times)

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
raisins
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:16:56 am »
Hello, on Brew like a monk there is a dark strong belgian recipe that use raisins when boiling is finished...does anybody has used before? any tip? are there some pectin issues do i have to be aware?

thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: raisins
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:13:51 am »
I've used raisins a couple times.  My method is to wait til the beer has finished primary fermentation, then caramelize the raisins in a super red hot wok.  Deglaze with some beer from primary, add it all to a secondary and rack the beer onto it.  I have also added raisins directly to secondary, but the wok method brings out a lot more flavor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:58:56 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:24 am »
I've used raisins a couple times.  My method is to wit til the beer has finished primary fermentation, then caramelize the raisins ins super red hot wok. 

Very interesting!  I like it.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 10:59:54 am »
I've used raisins a couple times.  My method is to wit til the beer has finished primary fermentation, then caramelize the raisins ins super red hot wok. 

Very interesting!  I like it.

Also works great with figs!  Herman Holtrop's Rochefort 8 recipe with figs added in done this way is fantastic.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hospter81

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:11 am »
I've used raisins a couple times. 

Thanks!! do you know how much raisins per 5 gallon batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:10:08 am »
I've used raisins a couple times. 

Thanks!! do you know how much raisins per 5 gallon batch?

1-2 lb.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:48 pm »
I used 2 lbs of golden raisins for a Raison B'Etra "clone' (10 gallons). I pulled out a quart of wort right before knock-out and put that and the raisins in a blender to soak for 15 minutes. I then gave it a couple of quick blender pulses to chop up the raisins a bit, then put it into the primary fermenter. After 2 years the raisin flavor is still evident.

Carmelizing them first is a good idea. Thanks Denny. I will try that next time.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
Zombie thread!!!!

Denny I am going to add some raisins to the stout that's finishing up primary. Just wanted to check, did you pre-soak the raisins at all before the walk treatment? or just the 'dry' raisins right in the pan?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 07:51:52 pm »
I find that raisins add a bit of sourness to a finished beer. I made a stout, and let it secondary on raisins for 10 days, and it definitely had a sourness to it, that didn't without raisins. Used 1.5 lbs, just threw them in with no prep like Denny. Good flavor. Gonna try it on an old ale soon...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 08:56:44 pm »
Glad this thread popped back up. I'm brewing an RIS this weekend and plan on doing a parti-gyle with a smaller stout for the second beer. Maybe I'll have to try the raisins in the second beer.
Mark Gres