Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oyster stout  (Read 9979 times)

Offline thomasben

• Assistant Brewer
Oyster stout
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Wondering different ratios and methods y'all used when you brewed this. Thanks guys!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Oyster stout
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 01:23:30 am »
I would probably get some shucked oysters, drain out the liquid, pat them dry, bread them and fry them, then serve on a bun with tartar sauce and a side of slaw.

Oh, and take the reserved liquid, add a little water and boil it briefly to sanitize it, then dose it in the keg.

Or I might get the oysters and steam them, then serve them on the half with a little lemon and tabasco, maybe some butter.  Use the steaming water the same as above, dosing in the keg.

Once you have a feel for the quantity of liquid you want to use, then just toss it in at the end of the boil to save yourself the trouble.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:47:31 am »
I would probably get some shucked oysters, drain out the liquid, pat them dry, bread them and fry them, then serve on a bun with tartar Remoulade sauce and a side of slaw.

Fixed it for ya.

But seriously, the only civilized way to eat an oyster is to shuck it and shoot it. Tabasco is acceptable, but optional.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:49 am »
But seriously, the only civilized way to eat an oyster is to shuck it and shoot it. Tabasco is acceptable, but optional.

The above is the correct answer !
Joe

Offline ibru

• Assistant Brewer
  • Brew Day is My Day!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:09:10 am »
I like oysters fried or barbequed, but yes shooters are best, followed by a drink of porter or stout. The oyster stouts I've tried have not been good IMO.

Bruce

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:23:38 am »
What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:55:31 am »
I would probably get some shucked oysters, drain out the liquid, pat them dry, bread them and fry them, then serve on a bun with tartar Remoulade sauce and a side of slaw.

Fixed it for ya.

But seriously, the only civilized way to eat an oyster is to shuck it and shoot it. Tabasco Horseradish is acceptable, but optional.

Fixed it for ya.  ;)

What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.

The only one I've ever had is Yard's. You should try it at NHC next year. It tastes like a dry stout. Which is great… if you like dry stout… which I do.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 11:23:49 am »
The historical info I've seen suggest that traditionally the oysters weren't used at all.  The shells were added to the kettle to increase the Ca levels.  That sounds a hell of a lot better to me than adding oysters!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:29 am »
I had a very nice one in Asheville this summer at a seafood restaurant with a sabco brew magic system.  The oyster flavor adds some brininess and quite a bit of texture.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »
I'm in Seagrove, FL right now and enjoyed some raw oysters last night.  I agree with Jeff that oysters and the brine they contain will add flavor to the stout.  We know that stouts and porters compliment the flavor of oysters (thus Guinness sponsoring the world oyster shucking championships) and it makes sense to incorporate the components of that flavor into a stout.  I'm not sure that the flesh adds anything to the beer, but the fluids that could be expressed from the oysters probably do.  I agree with Denny that oyster shell could add some Ca, but the opportunity to dissolve that relatively 'bound' calcium seems limited.  I'm betting that some effect of the oyster shell could also be the salts that might still be coated with. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:26 am »
I just don't agree, raw oysters are fine if they are kumamoto or something like that, but some of the big ones we get are best fried or grilled.  If I have to chew it a bunch to shoot it, I'm out.

I think you guys are right about the shells being used as opposed to the flesh.  I've had a couple of "oyster" stouts, the oysters had a minimal impact.  Not sure what they did though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 08:19:16 am »
The beer I had in Asheville used oysters in the boil, but I can't remember how many.  Seems like 20 in 10 gallons….   The beer was good enough to have two pints with dinner.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline greyghost

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 12:15:25 am »
Try this   http://www.byo.com/stories/recipeindex/article/recipes/114-stout/2375-black-pearl-oyster-stout-
I brewed this with a few changes. Smoked 2# of 2 row with alder. It came out super. Took some to my HBC meeting for a open judging finished 2nd to a killer mead with a 40 something score. They are still talking about it 2 months later.  Mine ended up at 6.9%. The only people that didn't like it were the ones that wouldn't taste it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:20:21 am by greyghost »

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:06:37 am »
I recently brewed a crab stout. 

Threw 4, live Dungeness crabs in the boil pot with about 20 minutes left.  Once the floated to the top, we pulled them out.  Also added about 2tbs of Old Bay in a ten gallon batch.  This is for a "strangebrewfest" held close to me each year. 

We've been drinking it the last couple days, and it's actually very good.  So far, all who have tasted like it.  (or they are just being nice) 

The hardest part was cleaning the outside of the crab. 

Offline greyghost

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 12:47:08 am »
I have got to try this  ;D