General Category > All Grain Brewing

Oyster stout

<< < (2/6) > >>

ccfoo242:
What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.

brushvalleybrewer:

--- Quote from: erockrph on October 20, 2012, 05:47:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on October 20, 2012, 12:23:30 AM ---I would probably get some shucked oysters, drain out the liquid, pat them dry, bread them and fry them, then serve on a bun with tartar Remoulade sauce and a side of slaw.

--- End quote ---

Fixed it for ya.

But seriously, the only civilized way to eat an oyster is to shuck it and shoot it. Tabasco Horseradish is acceptable, but optional.

--- End quote ---

Fixed it for ya.  ;)

--- Quote from: ccfoo242 on October 21, 2012, 08:23:38 AM ---What the heck does an oyster stout taste like? I've been too scared to try.

--- End quote ---

The only one I've ever had is Yard's. You should try it at NHC next year. It tastes like a dry stout. Which is great… if you like dry stout… which I do.

denny:
The historical info I've seen suggest that traditionally the oysters weren't used at all.  The shells were added to the kettle to increase the Ca levels.  That sounds a hell of a lot better to me than adding oysters!

jeffy:
I had a very nice one in Asheville this summer at a seafood restaurant with a sabco brew magic system.  The oyster flavor adds some brininess and quite a bit of texture.

mabrungard:
I'm in Seagrove, FL right now and enjoyed some raw oysters last night.  I agree with Jeff that oysters and the brine they contain will add flavor to the stout.  We know that stouts and porters compliment the flavor of oysters (thus Guinness sponsoring the world oyster shucking championships) and it makes sense to incorporate the components of that flavor into a stout.  I'm not sure that the flesh adds anything to the beer, but the fluids that could be expressed from the oysters probably do.  I agree with Denny that oyster shell could add some Ca, but the opportunity to dissolve that relatively 'bound' calcium seems limited.  I'm betting that some effect of the oyster shell could also be the salts that might still be coated with. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version