Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OK, don't laugh too hard  (Read 12185 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: OK, don't laugh too hard
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »

But you know over here we have more Dungy's than we know what to do with.  Just this past weekend, we got 15 more in the freezer.  And we still got about a month left of the season......  I can't believe they sell people buy them for $20 a piece at Pike Place.

Fixed it for you.

LOL.  Good call dude
But they're worth $20.  It's so, so good.  And that's cheaper than a ferry ride out to your neck of the woods Mic :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 08:18:00 am »
If you've ever picked a blue crab, $20 for a dungeness is money well spent.

Unless you're from Maryland...
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 08:20:04 am »
I'd like to do a popcorn beer - popcorn in the mash, a little salt and do everything wrong for lots of buttery diacetyl.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:34 am »
I'd like to do a popcorn beer - popcorn in the mash, a little salt and do everything wrong for lots of buttery diacetyl.

I've used popcorn in the mash before.  By the time the beer was finished, you couldn't really tell it was there.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:03 am »

I've used popcorn in the mash before.  By the time the beer was finished, you couldn't really tell it was there.

That's what the butter and salt is for!
AHA Member since 2006

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:40:35 am »

Pike Brewing Company in Seattle brewed a "salt and pepper" beer for the strangebrew fest I mention a couple years ago.  It was very good.  I spent lots of tokens at their booth.   
That's what the butter and salt is for!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 01:49:16 am »
...popcorn in the mash,

Funny, we've been discussing using popcorn instead of cracked corn in the mash on another forum I frequent.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:08 am »
Well, we brewed this beer yesterday.  Very freaky stuff.  And I felt pretty strange cleaning the crab with a brush to get all the sand and barnacles off.  Anyway, the crab we're about 6 hours from sea to boil pot.  We put 4 pretty big ones, in the boil with about 20 minutes left on a ten gallon batch.  Added two tsp of Old bay, some irish moss.  (OK, alot of irish moss) and it's now fermenting.........

Hit an OG of 1.066, but should have been just a bit higher.  Tasted the wort out of the test tube, and it seemed OK.  Not so crabby though.  hmmmmm.

Well, this is test batch #1. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:37 am »
Is the fermenter opening big enough that you can "Dry Crab"?

Seriously though, you may need to make a crab broth and blend at bottling to get any crabbyness. 

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:53 am »
Is the fermenter opening big enough that you can "Dry Crab"?

Seriously though, you may need to make a crab broth and blend at bottling to get any crabbyness.

I suppose we "could" dry crab???? 

Thanks for the suggestion on the crab broth. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:23 am »
Did you at least taste the crab?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:03 am »
Did you at least taste the crab?

Oh yea, Kelly made these crab "things"  She cleaned all the meat out, mixed with some cheese and other stuff, put them on toasted buns, and in the oven for a few.  Very tasty

And that was dinner last night.  Even my 2 year old grandson loved those. 

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 01:48:48 am »
Good - at least you didn't waste the crab.  Tell Kelly hi. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »
Well, we brewed this beer yesterday.  Very freaky stuff.  And I felt pretty strange cleaning the crab with a brush to get all the sand and barnacles off.  Anyway, the crab we're about 6 hours from sea to boil pot.  We put 4 pretty big ones, in the boil with about 20 minutes left on a ten gallon batch.  Added two tsp of Old bay, some irish moss.  (OK, alot of irish moss) and it's now fermenting.........

Hit an OG of 1.066, but should have been just a bit higher.  Tasted the wort out of the test tube, and it seemed OK.  Not so crabby though.  hmmmmm.

Well, this is test batch #1.

OK guys, this beer turned out very tasty.  Needs to age a bit for sure.  But, the initial tasting says it turned out real good.  The amazing part is the head on this beer.  I bet I could stand on it.  (and for those of you I've met, you know I'm not a small guy, LOL.

Anyway, we're gonna have a few folks from our local club, and see what they think.  We brewed a ten gallon batch, so we have one for tasting, and looks like we have our first beer for the strangebrewfest. 

Next is a Tabasco/chocalate stout, and rhubarb IPA.  If anyone ahs a recipe for the stout, I'd love to hear from you.  Another microbrewery in the area brews a rhubarb IPA.  I'll check with them to see if they plan to bring one to the strangebeerfest.  If not, we will.  But, it was his idea, so he get's first shot at it.