Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My first brew  (Read 7092 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
My first brew
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:13 am »
After studying and accumulating gear since June, I finally brewed a 5 gallon batch yesterday.

What went wrong:
1. Got to enjoying the event so much at the store, I misread the grain bill and added ~twice as much Roasted Barley as the recipe called for.  The beer will be darker than intended.
2. I didn't preheat the mash tun adequately and had to add more water to the mash to keep the temp up.
3. My Vorloff (sp?) sucked.  I disturbed the grain bed way too much.
4. First runnings on the batch sparge went well, but stuck the second runnings.  This turned out to be caused by my dip-tube being too close to the bottom of the keggle (legally obtained).
5. WAY too much grain getting by the grain bed/false bottom.  I had to filter the wort through a strainer.

What went right: pretty much everything else.  The estimated OG was 1.053 and I hit 1.051.

It is in the kegerator designated as the fermentation chamber and bubbling away.  We'll see...

Steve
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:29:22 am by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: My first brew
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:20 am »
If that's all that went wrong, I'd say that's a pretty good first day.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
My first brew
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:15:53 am »
All part of the learning process. Congrats on your fist batch!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:50 am »
Not a bad first day at all!  Stuck sparge could be more because of the extra roasted barley as well.  How much in total?

Congrats on your first all grain!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:11 pm »
Congrats! Missing .002 on your first AG is something to be commended on. I take it this is your first time brewing beer at all? Jumping in feet first I see.

Yeah it's gonna be quite roasty depending on how much roasted barley you actually used- if it was just ounces I wouldn't worry. Pounds are another matter... :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
Ha ha, Ounces, not pounds.  The recipe called for .09/lb. of Roasted Barley and I looked at another grain which was .25/lb..  When I noticed my mistake I took back out as much as I could without getting too anal about it.  yeah, I think it will just be darker.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 02:42:13 pm »
Sounds like a pretty successful brew day. Hell as long as it tastes good I'd say it was a great success! Congrats!
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline gauzzastrip

• 1st Kit
    • BrewShuffle.com - Share your home brew
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 12:47:29 pm »
I commend you going straight to all grain as your first brew.  If I hadn't gone with extract for my first 6 months of brewing I would have had no idea what was going on haha!

Sounds like you had a great first brew day.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 01:03:38 pm »
Way to go on your first brew.  I did go to all grain for several years and I think your first one went better than mine.   :o

Some of my best beers have been born of mistakes.  I can even reproduce some of them.  Now, start planning your next brew.

Paul.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:21 pm »
Congrats! Missing .002 on your first AG is something to be commended on. I take it this is your first time brewing beer at all? Jumping in feet first I see.

Yeah it's gonna be quite roasty depending on how much roasted barley you actually used- if it was just ounces I wouldn't worry. Pounds are another matter... :o

i don't even record to the thousandths.
Don AHA member

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 02:10:41 pm »
Yep, 2nd brew on Saturday.  A Pale Ale, lightly hopped with orange and coriander. I'm not going to be able to drink them this fast!  I'm also scheduled to do a 10 gallon IPA batch with a friend the following Friday.  Need more fermenter room...

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 02:36:22 pm »
  Need more fermenter room...

the obsession begins...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline sch21c

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
Yep, 2nd brew on Saturday.  A Pale Ale, lightly hopped with orange and coriander. I'm not going to be able to drink them this fast!  I'm also scheduled to do a 10 gallon IPA batch with a friend the following Friday.  Need more fermenter room...

Steve

Wow!  Talk about jumping in with both feet!

Sounds like you've got things moving along well.  Welcome to the obsession.