Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Molasses  (Read 5868 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Molasses
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:29 am »
I would remove some hot wort, mix in the molasses, then dump it in for the last couple of minutes, just to make sure it gets mixed in well.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:03 pm »
I would remove some hot wort, mix in the molasses, then dump it in for the last couple of minutes, just to make sure it gets mixed in well.

Happy post #7000 Tom!

What if it's already fermenting?  I added honey to the primary of a Stout a little while ago and thought I would do the same with the molasses in the Pumpkin Ale.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:29 pm »

Happy post #7000 Tom!

What if it's already fermenting?  I added honey to the primary of a Stout a little while ago and thought I would do the same with the molasses in the Pumpkin Ale.

Dave
Thanks? :)

If it is already fermenting I would dissolve it in a cup or two of boiling water then add it to the fermenter.  It will mix in much easier that way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:01 am »
That's what I was thinking.  Thanks for the confirmation.  I think I'm going to cut back on the Molasses and throw in some brown sugar to cover the gravity points I'm losing.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:40:19 am »
I'd suggest you look at dark candi syrup for that flavor.

What about dark brown sugar?

Also, I use this molasses: http://www.goindiaorganic.com/2011/06/plantation-barbados-unsulphured-molasses/

With 4 oz in a stout, I can definitely taste it.  I think a whole pound might be a bit much.

Really?  I've never gotten much, if any, flavor from it.  Maybe I just didn't use the right stuff.

Molasses?  Or brown sugar?  I'm confused by our back and forth...

4 oz of molasses is not overpowering, but you can definitely taste it.  I'm not using blackstrap, but it's there.  I used to use 8 oz in my stout, but that was more flavor than I wanted.

As to brown sugar, I can't say for sure that it will give rum flavors but that was always my understanding.  I've never done a beer with just brown sugar to see, though.
Brown sugar is refined sugar with molasses added back.

Been a long time since I had Lauginitas Brown Shugga'.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:49 am »

Molasses?  Or brown sugar?  I'm confused by our back and forth...

4 oz of molasses is not overpowering, but you can definitely taste it.  I'm not using blackstrap, but it's there.  I used to use 8 oz in my stout, but that was more flavor than I wanted.

As to brown sugar, I can't say for sure that it will give rum flavors but that was always my understanding.  I've never done a beer with just brown sugar to see, though.

sorry, brown sugar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell