General Category > Ingredients

Two Questions

(1/3) > >>

yso191:
1. The recipe I am working on calls for 2 oz. of Sweet Orange Peel.  I have Dried Orange Peel from a spice company.  On the jar it says it is equivalent for volume measurements for zest (1 tsp.=1 tsp.), but doesn't mention weight.  Anyone have an idea of how much dried peel is equal to 2 oz. of fresh?

2. I understand that one can use Lactic Acid to lower pH, but that there is a flavor threshold, over which one begins to taste the Lactic Acid, so any additions need to be under that.  But what I don't know is the ratio.  For a 5 gallon batch, what is the max I can use without affecting the taste of the beer?

Thanks, Steve

mtnrockhopper:

--- Quote from: yso191 on October 23, 2012, 02:07:35 PM ---1. The recipe I am working on calls for 2 oz. of Sweet Orange Peel.  I have Dried Orange Peel from a spice company.  On the jar it says it is equivalent for volume measurements for zest (1 tsp.=1 tsp.), but doesn't mention weight.  Anyone have an idea of how much dried peel is equal to 2 oz. of fresh?

--- End quote ---

I would guess that up to 90% of the peel's weight is water. If that were true - 0.2oz dry = 2oz fresh.  Most recipes that call for dry orange peel (although most are for bitter) use 0.5 oz.

Don't know about lactic acid.

Joe Sr.:

--- Quote from: mtnrockhopper on October 23, 2012, 02:16:27 PM ---Most recipes that call for dry orange peel (although most are for bitter) use 0.5 oz.

--- End quote ---

You want to be sure that you have dried sweet orange peel.  I think what I have at home is dried bitter orange peel.

The differences are obvious.

euge:
What is the purpose of the lactic acid? Flavor or are you wanting to affect the mash pH?

yso191:

--- Quote from: euge on October 23, 2012, 03:10:42 PM ---What is the purpose of the lactic acid? Flavor or are you wanting to affect the mash pH?

--- End quote ---

Mash pH.  I want to avoid the flavor of lactic acid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version