Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: basic amber ale recipe help  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: basic amber ale recipe help
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:40 pm »
Does this grain bill look more appropriate:

60% two row
20% munich
13% crystal
7% flaked oats

I dropped the honey malt and subbed in some Munich for two row. Again, I know the oats are probably out of place...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 11:38:08 pm »
The oats are fine, but is there a reason other than you just want them?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:41 am »
Nope...I just really like flaked oats in a lot of my beers. I think the added mouthfeel with the light flavor from the spices will be a good thing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:18:49 am »
Nope...I just really like flaked oats in a lot of my beers. I think the added mouthfeel with the light flavor from the spices will be a good thing

No better reason then!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33:12 pm »
I thought I would update this as I am making my first tasting notes. It has only been in the bottle a week so it will contine to develop. The basic malt bill is in a post above and keep in mind that this was actually an amber ale with pumpkin, spices, and orange zest. Sorry not very good at making tasting notes...

ONE WEEK IN BOTTLE (11/16)
Appearance: light golden amber. Considered "deep amber" by BJCP. Darker than I originally thought and color is about perfect. Poured aggressively at beginning to get a good head but it dissipated within a couple of minutes leaving thin white remnants. Carbonation seems to be decent for 1 week in bottle.

Aroma: Very subtle spice and interesting caramel notes. Aroma is much more subdued than I was hoping.

Taste: Wow this is an interesting one at this point! Initially very smooth with butterscotch like flavor that quickly transforms to a slight bitter tartness. I wonder if the combo of the orange and the spices somehow gives the perception of butterscotch because the orange seems to be missing although it was very present previously. After a few drinks, the palate adjusts and it's a very tasty yet interesting beer. Although the pumpkin and spices notes don't seem to be immediately perceptible, the impact is undoubtedly there. Starting to get some spiciness perhaps from the cloves/nutmeg. A spicy tingling lingers on the tongue when not tasting for a few minutes.

Mouthfeel: The oats give it a creamy smooth beginning that transforms to almost a biting sensation from the carbonation. I assume this will become tempered with time and not as noticeable. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:59:43 pm by goschman »