General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

krausen question

<< < (2/3) > >>

morticaixavier:
I totally understand wanting your first batch to be done but... You might want to wait another week before even bothering with a first reading. Even after the gravity has been stable for a while the yeast is still working on cleaning up after itself. My advice its to brew your second ever batch this weekend and leave the first one alone for another week or so

Herminator:
great advice.  I will do just that.  Thanks.

anje:
Relax, kick back, and drink some good store-bought beer for now. You'll get homebrew soon, I promise.

I was in a hurry to bottle and try my first batch (not long ago), too. Bottled after a week. The things took forever (not really, but it felt like it) to clean up their green flavors once bottled. Probably overcompensated by leaving my next two beers on their yeast cakes for a full 4 weeks before bottling those, but they came out much cleaner-tasting, which I largely attribute to patience.

Perhaps I need to acquire a couple smaller containers and divide a single batch among them and bottle one a week once fermentation has stopped, to see how sitting on the yeast affects flavors... 

euge:
Exploring does no harm in the scheme of things. How else does one learn? Then one develops wisdom and appreciation of those who have gone before.

tubercle:

--- Quote from: euge on October 24, 2012, 10:35:47 PM ---Exploring does no harm in the scheme of things. How else does one learn? Then one develops wisdom and appreciation of those who have gone before.

--- End quote ---

Amen Euge. My very creed.

As far as sitting on the yeast cake. Weeks don't matter. Measure it in months. That "sitting on the yeast cake will ruin you beer" thing is way over emphasized.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version