Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cool brewing fermenter insulator  (Read 3141 times)

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
cool brewing fermenter insulator
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:14:42 am »
Saw this "cool brewing fermenter insulator" advertised in BYO's september issue. Was wondering if anyone has tried it and is it worthwhile?

I have been using the basement's sink filled with water as an insulator, using frozen 2-liter bottles for making ales. Generally it has been good. But with the cbfi it would free up the sink.

With birthday and Christmas coming up soon, thought I would suggest this to the wife who will be hounding me for ideas for gifts. Any input would be much appreciated.

Offline suds

• 1st Kit
Re: cool brewing fermenter insulator
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:46 pm »
Personally I have a fridge but there seem to be a number of happy users on hbt
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/new-product-cool-brewing-fermentation-cooler-296052/

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
It's too expensive for what it does. Sure it is nifty and you can stow it- but as we are often brewing it'll be in use more than stowed.

May I suggest a cheap rubbermaid trashcan? It'll do the same thing and you can throw a comforter or blankets over as added insulation.

BTW, for three years I was able to ferment two 8 gallon fermenters at a time in a large 30 gallon tote with lid from Walmart. This item costs $10 and has the same basic performance and method of cooling. I did wrap some refelctix around it but a second performed exactly the same with a blanket over the top.

I can't believe I read all 24 pages of that thread. ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
Thanks for the input. Hadn't thought about the trash can. Part of my question was in regards to the thermal mass of water as opposed to air. had tried a small refrigerator had fouled up.

But a trash can with ice leaders and an insulated cover may very well work.