General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Post a pic of your Pellicle!

(1/10) > >>

bluesman:
Say that 10 times real fast.  ;D

Anyway, I thought it would be cool to see some funk!

I collaborated with a good freind of mine, aka "redbeerman", on a Saison experiment. Here is a photo of a pellicle that formed on one of our batches of Saison that was fermented using WLP565 and WLP650. The recipe includes the use of Tupelo honey and Muscat Grape Juice, along with some bitter dried orange peel and coriander. We used a standard saison recipe base malt formulation, Pils malt, 2 row and wheat malt along with just enough Hallertau (bittering) to balance the malt profile and give a hint of flavor.

Post your pellicle pic!

kylekohlmorgen:
House Culture:

Double batch of Flanders Red 2011:

Cultured dregs of Goose Island's Juliet:

bluesman:
Here's another pic of a pellicle from a Les Framboises du Mal.

George Clinton once said "If the funk was going to happen, I wanted to be there."

bluesman:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on October 26, 2012, 11:34:55 AM ---

--- End quote ---

What's the difference between the two beers? What strains did you use?

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: bluesman on October 26, 2012, 11:45:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on October 26, 2012, 11:34:55 AM ---

--- End quote ---

What's the difference between the two beers? What strains did you use?

--- End quote ---

The left was only my house culture of bottle dregs (from the pic above). The right was only Roselare.

The house culture was by FAR my favorite, a lot more depth and acidity than the Roselare. I think it was because the house culture was very active when I pitched. Either way, house culture is how I'm doing it from now on. It produces more unique sours AND gives me a reason to buy good commercial examples.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version