Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Which dry ale yeasts to keep as backup?  (Read 8508 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Which dry ale yeasts to keep as backup?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 02:28:45 pm »
I've never heard of K-97 before this thread.

K-97 is a dry Altbier strain, similar to WY1007. I haven't tried them back-to-back, but they seem a bit different. They definitely are both strong top-croppers and are pretty sticky. Some people call it a "Koelsch" strain, but some people are wrong. It doesn't have the white fruit (pear/apple) and vinous esters you'd expect from a proper Koelsch yeast. K-97 is much closer to 1007 than to 2565. K-97 ferments cleanly and matures quickly. It's powdery, too, so it needs finings or extra time to drop bright.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 02:49:38 pm »
I keep 05, 04, Nottingham and Saflager on hand, but the only ones I normally use are the 04 and Nottingham.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 03:02:07 pm »
I usually have US-04, US-05 and EC-1118 on hand

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:42 am »
I'm a US-05 and 34/70 kind of girl.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:46 am »

K-97 is a dry Altbier strain, similar to WY1007. I haven't tried them back-to-back, but they seem a bit different. They definitely are both strong top-croppers and are pretty sticky. Some people call it a "Koelsch" strain, but some people are wrong. It doesn't have the white fruit (pear/apple) and vinous esters you'd expect from a proper Koelsch yeast. K-97 is much closer to 1007 than to 2565. K-97 ferments cleanly and matures quickly. It's powdery, too, so it needs finings or extra time to drop bright.
You're talking BRY-97 right? That's a west coast strain, it says.  Where are you seeing it being referred to as a Kolsch strain?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/beer-yeast/danstar-american-west-coast-ale-yeast.html
Jesse

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:06 am »

You're talking BRY-97 right? That's a west coast strain, it says.  Where are you seeing it being referred to as a Kolsch strain?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/beer-yeast/danstar-american-west-coast-ale-yeast.html

Nope. K-97:

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/IB/EN/Safale_K-97_IB.pdf
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 08:41:35 am »
Nope. K-97:

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/IB/EN/Safale_K-97_IB.pdf

Yep, that's the one. Here's some more info: http://hbd.org/discus/messages/48727/48742.html?1261934203

It looks like other people picked up on the "citrus" thing going on there. There's also a discussion about what "typical" Koelsch flavor is. Some people were suggesting some Koelsch breweries use lager strains. Given the crisp and sulfury flavor of Reissdorf, that seems reasonable to me. I think a lot of what we consider "Koelsch" character gets lost in translation.

Anyway, I think K-97 works well with the kinds of hops I typically use (noble or tropical/citrus fruit, not resinous/piny.) IMO a West Coast IPA wouldn't be the best with K-97. I'd go with US-05 for that.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:01 am »
Gotcha, I'd never heard of K-97 before this either. Didn't see it on Midwest or Northern Brewer.
Jesse

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 09:18:14 am »
Gotcha, I'd never heard of K-97 before this either. Didn't see it on Midwest or Northern Brewer.

It's only available in 500g bricks, but I've seen brew stores like AHS repackage it in 12g satchets. Same thing with S-189 lager yeast.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »
I always keep one or two packets of Saf-Lager 34/70.  I have, fortunately, never had a non-fermenting problem with a liquid ale yeast.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »
I generally have US-05 and Nottingham in the fridge along with several wine yeasts. Sometimes I will also have S-04.