Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: now hear me out first....  (Read 4535 times)

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
now hear me out first....
« on: October 25, 2012, 03:27:29 pm »
so i was sitting at work talking to the guys about the next beer i wanted to brew, when suddenly my manager sticks his head into the conversation and tells me i should brew a guacamole beer.  i was surprised, i was disgusted, i was intrigued.

now i know i should have dismissed the thought outright, but my manager has never willingly let a drop of alcohol pass his lips in his entire life.  so the answering phrase that came out of my mouth was "if i make it, are you gonna drink it?"  to which he grudgingly agreed.

so in the interest of breaking in a 35 year old virgin liver, how would you go about making a guacamole beer?  also i'm not at the all grain level yet, still just partial mash.

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
Re: now hear me out first....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
i'm also not necessarily interested in making a full 5 gallon batch either.  a simple 1 or 2 gallon would be more than enough.

Offline mihalybaci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »
Sounds like an interesting idea, I would drink a guacamole beer if I were handed one. I think the flavor of cilantro would be nice in the right beer, maybe just add it as you would dry hops. Avocados are one of the fattiest fruits around (up there with olives), so you might want to steep some in vodka to make an avocado extract, otherwise all that avocado oil might ruin the head retention.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:54:34 pm »
My thought is to use the avocado in the mash, boil the hell out of it, rack it to another container off the trub, then crash-cool it to fridge temps and hope the fat congeals on top so you can skim it off.

I'm thinking Motueka would be a great aroma hop for this. Galaxy would be nice, too.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »
Since it's really about getting your tea-totalling boss f'd up.  Make a regular beer, wave an avocado over the top (hell, get it wet in the wort, what do I care) and then tell him it's guacamole beer.  How's he gonna know it's not??? 

narvin

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »
Stick a slice of avocado in some PBR.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 05:02:40 pm »
http://www.americanspice.com/avocado-powder/

add cilantro and use sorachi ace for flavoring.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »
Here ya go, courtesy of Drew Beechum.  I am sure he can elaborate on it a little more if he chimes in.  But, I oddly enough I hear it works and it is pretty tasty...

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/saison-guacamole
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:08:20 pm by hoser »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »
Here ya go, courtesy of Drew Beechum.  I am sure he can elaborate on it a little more if he chimes in.  But, I oddly enough I here it works and it is pretty tasty...

http://www.maltosefalcons.com/recipes/saison-guacamole

Drew had this beer, so I had to try it. Pretty good. The avacado honey results in a very dark beer, IIRC.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:18:05 am »
Since it's really about getting your tea-totalling boss f'd up.  Make a regular beer, wave an avocado over the top (hell, get it wet in the wort, what do I care) and then tell him it's guacamole beer.  How's he gonna know it's not???

LOL, +1. 
Dave Zach

Offline skrag6713

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:21 pm »
i'm not gonna deny that the objective is to get a beer down my boss's throat.  i just wanna make my best effort at keeping with the spirit of the deal.  thanks for the links and tips!  i wouldn't turn down more help with the project though!

Offline bigchicken

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lincoln, NE
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 10:04:32 pm »
My thought would be to zest the avocado and use that in a steep or partial mash, or boil. Make it a pale ale with a single hop of your choice. Maybe this would give a light flavor and avoid the fats from the avocado.
TJ Cook

On Deck: Planning
Fermenting: Nothing
In bottles: It's All About MEAD!