Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pumpkin  (Read 8761 times)

Offline guido

• Brewer
Re: Pumpkin
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 11:30:57 pm »
All, I have an amber ale in the keg ready to carbonate.  I would like to make this into a "pumpkin ale" by adding spices, but I am not sure whether to use Pumpkin Pie spice, straight Nutmeg, or a combo of 1/2 nutmeg and 1/2 cinnamon. Any advice is appreciated.

The spicing is a personal preference.  I love the flavor of Saigon cinnamon.  It's about 80% of my spicing regimen.  I add ginger, too.  If using fresh, use more.  I use close to a tablespoon.  If using dry, use a lot less.  I go with a teaspoon of ground nutmeg.  I don't like cloves or allspice, but add them if you like 'em.  It's best to go low on spices.  You can always add more.  I also add 2-3 tsp of good vanilla, which seems to blend the flavors.  Do not go overboard on the vanilla, though.  It's something that you really can't detect, but will miss if it's not there.  The vanilla flavor is permanent; it won't mellow with age.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison

Offline brewdude75

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:40:53 pm »
Thanks Guido!  I am planning on putting the spices in a boiled, fine-mesh hop bag and suspending them in the keg for a week or so while I carbonate it. I have +/- 4 gallons in this keg. I am hoping that will add the spice flavor and aroma without all those pesky fines!

Tom

Offline brianbgarber

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:48 am »
Follow up...

Everything went pretty well with the mash. I ended up mixing the pumpkin in the strike water, and then adding that to the mash. Opted not to use rice hulls, and nearly had a stuck mash... lesson learned.

Added powdered ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg at 5 minutes to go, and then added vanilla extract in the secondary.

Other than some haze, I'm really pleased with this beer. Will probably do it again!

Thanks for all your advise and help!
Brian

Offline guido

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 08:25:13 am »
My pumpkin beer is ready.  The carbonation is silky, almost like nitrogen.  The spices came out a lot more once it was carbonated.  The pumpkin flavor is really there too by boiling the pumpkin.  No haze whatsoever.  Glad I made 10 gallons.
Well...I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer

-"Roadhouse Blues,"  Jim Morrison