Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Absorption  (Read 5041 times)

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Hop Absorption
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:59:17 am »
Hey gang,

I know in a batch of beer we lose liquid to many culprits. There is grain absorption, evaporation rate, trub, etc. I know I lose alot to hop absorption as well. Anyone have any ballpark estimate on how much you lose to hop absorption per ounce of pellet hops?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
Re: Hop Absorption
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:37:48 am »
After a little more research I am seeing that Denny is finding around 12oz of wort being absorbed per ounce of whole hops. On top of that, Jeff is saying that pellet hops and whole hops are dehydrated the same amount, making the absorption rate the same regardless of hop form. is this still the good word? Anybody see different results?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:02 pm »
After a little more research I am seeing that Denny is finding around 12oz of wort being absorbed per ounce of whole hops. On top of that, Jeff is saying that pellet hops and whole hops are dehydrated the same amount, making the absorption rate the same regardless of hop form. is this still the good word? Anybody see different results?

no you are wayyyy off.  I'd guesstimate that pellets absorb maybe 1/5 of what whole does.  That is one of the added benefits of pellets - less absorption loss.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
They are dried the same, and will absorb the same. Whole cones will trap a lot more. Some big breweries have hop presses to squeeze out the wort.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 01:15:00 pm »
sorry - I should have stated that its the 'nooks and crannies' of whole hops that cause the much greater absorption, not the dehydration/rehydration.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:22:02 pm »
You didn't say how you handle the hops.  In the boil, I keep them in paint filter bags.  Once the boil is done and the wort is mostly cooled, I pull the socks out and put them on my immersion cooler to drain.  These hops probably don't retain much wort relative to free floating whole hops.