Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Trellis  (Read 2635 times)

Offline robb

• 1st Kit
Hop Trellis
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:07:09 pm »
I had a successful summer growing 4 types of hops up and over my back yard pergola.  I have them planted at the post with ropes extending to the top support and then laid the rope horizontally in different directions over the pergola.  The vines needed a little help wrapping around the horizontal ropes but generally it worked very well.   The question I have is could I lay a wire metal grid (with about 6x6 openings) on top of the pergola and will the vines wrap around the metal with the wire being quite a bit smoother than rope? 

Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Hop Trellis
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:15:31 pm »
they will, but it will be a PITA to remove the spent bines at the end of the year. I like biodegradable twine because then you just cut it down, chop it up and chuck it in the compost and string new twine next year.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
Re: Hop Trellis
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:14:56 pm »

this is how mine grow.  this is four pieces of electrical conduit with connectors. i bent the 90degrees in the top and 15 degrees in the bottom so the connections would be linear.   i just tie twine up on it and anchor to a 4 by 4. they do on occasion grow on the metal support and i have to break them off. i would not want all of mine to grow up wire. the string i just cut and harvest on the ground
Don AHA member