Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OxyClean your thermos  (Read 8756 times)

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
OxyClean your thermos
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:20:58 am »
I started noticing a weird film in my coffee cups when the coffee was poured from my thermos.  Its been several years since I really gave it a good cleaning.  I decided to clean w/ OxyClean.  Oh my, what a disgusting mess.  After an overnight soaking, the Oxy water looked like cola and the black flakes just kept comin- rinse after rinse.  The "flakes" looked like black, soggy corn flakes.  I had to OxyClean a second time as the flakes just kept comin.  After the second soak (24 hrs this time), it just took a few rinsings and the inside is spotless.

I know many of you will come on a tell how spotless you keep your thermos, but I'm betting some of you will find the same disgusting mess that I did.  Soooooo- hit your thermos w/ OxyClean and tell us how it went.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: OxyClean your thermos
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:28:29 am »
I started noticing a weird film in my coffee cups when the coffee was poured from my thermos.  Its been several years since I really gave it a good cleaning.  I decided to clean w/ OxyClean.  Oh my, what a disgusting mess.  After an overnight soaking, the Oxy water looked like cola and the black flakes just kept comin- rinse after rinse.  The "flakes" looked like black, soggy corn flakes.  I had to OxyClean a second time as the flakes just kept comin.  After the second soak (24 hrs this time), it just took a few rinsings and the inside is spotless.

I know many of you will come on a tell how spotless you keep your thermos, but I'm betting some of you will find the same disgusting mess that I did.  Soooooo- hit your thermos w/ OxyClean and tell us how it went.
Maybe a sanitizer chaser.  I usually bleach (Clorox Clean Up) my percolator when the color gets too dark.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:33:10 am »

Maybe a sanitizer chaser.  I usually bleach (Clorox Clean Up) my percolator when the color gets too dark.

I hadn't considered the sanitizer chaser.  I think its better to just clean the thermos rather than drinking a shot of sanitizer after every cup of coffee     ;)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 03:49:52 pm »
I use my beer supplies and knowledge almost daily in a variety of situations. Where would we be without beer!?!?!  ???
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »
Where would we be without beer!?!?!  ???
? That does not compute!   ???
Brew on

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:09:58 am »
My brother inlaw`s coffee mug is disgusting to even look at and yet he just gives it a rinsing with water & calls it good to go. ugh!

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:12:00 am »
I use my beer supplies and knowledge almost daily in a variety of situations. Where would we be without beer!?!?!  ???

I'm trying to get my boss to allow a kegerator in the office................ she's afraid I'd be running the place within a month
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:04 am »
My brother inlaw`s coffee mug is disgusting to even look at and yet he just gives it a rinsing with water & calls it good to go. ugh!

Sounds familiar. Hit that sucker w/ OxyClean and then see what he thinks when the black corn flakes keep comin and comin.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 09:44:26 am »
I use my beer supplies and knowledge almost daily in a variety of situations.

+1.  A couple times a year we get a big storm that knocks out our power.  Being on a well, no power=no water.  I fill a bunch of kegs with water in advance and I'm good to go.  Plus, I can cook on my brewing burner.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:41 am »
I use my beer supplies and knowledge almost daily in a variety of situations.

+1.  A couple times a year we get a big storm that knocks out our power.  Being on a well, no power=no water.  I fill a bunch of kegs with water in advance and I'm good to go.  Plus, I can cook on my brewing burner.

The biggest reason I got a generator is the well.
Heat, got the wood stove heating the house anyway
Cooking, gas appliances.
Food, have lots of coolers and usually enough frozen foods that everything would be fine for a few days anyway
Water....................................thats why we have a generator
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:11:03 am »

I use starsan for everyday cleaning and the burner has been used to boil water to thaw the water pipes (well).

If armageddon  hits the fan I could use beer to barter with as everybody will need a beer :D
Plus homebrewers would become Gods as we know how to make beer ;)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:21:49 am »

yes, but wouldn't we have to, in turn, worship at the feet of the maltsters and hop growers?

"Our Puterbaugh, who art in Oregon"

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 07:24:40 am »

yes, but wouldn't we have to, in turn, worship at the feet of the maltsters and hop growers?

"Our Puterbaugh, who art in Oregon"

MEH
The BJCP would be right out the window, hops would be great but most important is the ability to make some kind of palatable hooch.
Jeff

On draught:

Primary:

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 11:47:14 pm »
I found an old green Stanley thermos on ebay for a few bucks.

Shook and soaked the hell out of it with Oxyclean. Black mess. Problem is I've never been able to get rid of an earthy flavor it imparts to the coffee I put in there.

Any ideas on this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 08:10:05 am »
I found an old green Stanley thermos on ebay for a few bucks.

Shook and soaked the hell out of it with Oxyclean. Black mess. Problem is I've never been able to get rid of an earthy flavor it imparts to the coffee I put in there.

Any ideas on this?

I'd bet on the stopper (or whatever you call it). Just for giggles, pour coffee in it and use it as a caraffe in the house. No stopper, and see if you get any off flavors.
The moral majority, is neither.