Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another one!  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Another one!
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 06:05:34 am »
You can rent framing nailers.  You would be amazed how much faster things go with them.  I've been using air powered tools for 30 years and have yet to nail any of my parts to each other or anything else.  Accidents happen when you are tired, rushed or both.  You just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  If you do decide to use one do not disable the safety features.  Bump nailing speeds up big jobs but also nails feet to floors.

I typically nail shingles by hand since I normally work alone.  No point in rushing when every pack of shingles gets moved by one guy.  Sitting and driving nails gives me rest breaks.  8^)

Have fun with your projects and good luck on both of them.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 06:44:15 am »
You can rent framing nailers.  You would be amazed how much faster things go with them.  I've been using air powered tools for 30 years and have yet to nail any of my parts to each other or anything else.  Accidents happen when you are tired, rushed or both.  You just have to be aware of your surroundings at all times.  If you do decide to use one do not disable the safety features.  Bump nailing speeds up big jobs but also nails feet to floors.

I typically nail shingles by hand since I normally work alone.  No point in rushing when every pack of shingles gets moved by one guy.  Sitting and driving nails gives me rest breaks.  8^)

Have fun with your projects and good luck on both of them.

Paul

Got myself a Bostitch F21PL framer (non-sequential "no bumping" kind) and a Bostitch N62FNK-2 finishing nailer with a switch for either sequential or contact. I LOLd at a review, though, where a guy said, I would not want to employ the carpenter who bumped his finishing nails.

Have not yet got a compressor for them (they just got here via Air Dad during vacation a few weeks ago) but there are some projects that need-a-doin.

Paul what size compressor do you use?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:21 am »
Problem:  no experience with nail gun, it'll probably be slower than using a hammer and a LOT more dangerous.

Easy to use.  Follow basic safety procedures (safety glasses, don't point it at yourself, keep your hands out of the way).  Fast.

No one with a hammer is faster than a nail gun.  Best tool purchase I ever made.

The compressor has many uses.  Buy a cheap nailer from Harbor Freight if you're concerned about cost or ever using it again.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:59 am »
Well I'm sure some have heard the saying that what will keep a man in everlasting ignorance is "contempt prior to investigation".
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 08:07:38 am »
The compressor has many uses.  Buy a cheap nailer from Harbor Freight if you're concerned about cost or ever using it again.

i actually now have bought nail guns and table saws from home depot RENTAL.  they only use them for so long and sell them cheap. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 06:07:33 pm by dbeechum »
Don AHA member

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
No one with a hammer is faster than a nail gun.  Best tool purchase I ever made.

I was more indicating that I'd be faster with a hammer than I'd be with a frame nailer.  As in by the time I figured out how to steady it and just toss a nail down, I'd be done with the frame.  If I had 2 jobs in front of me... yeah, the learning curve's ridiculously low, second job will go way more smoothly with a nail gun.  I did a deck with one when I was 10, lost control of it a few times (wasted some nails), remember when I got to the end it was decently fast.

I'm not insane enough to disable safety features on power tools.  People who do that are stupid, they think they've done this a billion times and know what they're doing and all they really have is risk tolerance and a little luck.  Then you're in the ER ward and some moron comes in missing a finger because he took a guard off a power saw...

Having eschewed all medication for ADHD because it was making me crazy (psychosis is a main side-effect and very common--0.1% immediately and 6% for a few months of treatment by prescribed methylphenedate, consider 10 years...), I find power tools terrifying but useful.  I don't care how much brain damage you have, you pay attention when you're cutting porcelain tile with a diamond-coated carbide wet saw.