Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Issues with first all grain batch  (Read 2757 times)

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
Issues with first all grain batch
« on: October 28, 2012, 05:49:30 pm »
So I attempted the Scottish Heavy that was the beer of the week all last week as my first AG batch. Well let me say that first off I had a hell of a time maintaining temp. Had to add 2 quarts of boiling water to my mash because I couldn't keep the temp at 154. Was at 148 for about 20 minutes finally got it to maintain between 150-152 for the remaining 70. The I got a stuck mash and wound up having to Autosiphon my mash. (Def. buying a store bought false bottom). Anyways, did anyone ever have to auto siphon there mash? Any tips on maintaining temp?
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Re: Issues with first all grain batch
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 06:27:04 pm »
I will start by asking for more information. What are you using as a Mash/Lauter tun? How is it insulated? How was the grain ground?

I have a 54qt Cooler with a bazooka screen for my mash tun. My first AG batch had issues with mash temp, because I forgot to heat up the cooler. I have never had problems with a stuck sparge with my system.

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:29:49 pm »
Basically made the false bottom out of copper. Put slits into it have three pieces that run parallel and two vertical. I definetely didnt work and didn't cost me much since I had the copper left over from a job. My cooler is a Coleman Ten Gallon Water Cooler. Come to think of it I never did heat up the cooler prior to mashing. I still think I am going to go with a store bought false bottom and bulk head.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:29:37 pm »
definitely preheat your mash tun. I usually heat up the strike water to 2-3 degrees above the strike temperature, and when it stabilizes, its right about at my proper strike temp.

Regarding your manifold, do you have the holes up or down?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
I wouldn't bother preheating the mash tun - and neither do you garc.  Preheating is when you add some hot water to warm the cooler, then dump it and add the mash water.  Do it like garc says though - heat the water hotter than you calculate you need and add it to the cooler.  Do it so it stabilizes at or above the desired strike temp.  If it is too warm let it cool off for a bit until it gets to the right temp, then stir in your grain.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:11:26 pm »
Manifold slots were facing up.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:17:39 pm »
Put the manifold in with the slots facing down.  Or just swap it out for a braid.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline scottgott01

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:40:06 pm »
I think im just going to spend the extra cash and buy a false bottom. 25 bucks at my local shop.
Belfrey Cross Brewing

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:31:12 am »
I think im just going to spend the extra cash and buy a false bottom. 25 bucks at my local shop.
I wouldn't assume that a false bottom will solve all your problems.  They can come with problems of their own and may either not solve your stuck mash or "solve" it by channeling wort down the sides of your tun.