Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gas Pipe Question  (Read 4591 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Gas Pipe Question
« on: November 01, 2012, 01:37:30 pm »
I'm going to try to hard plumb the burners on my new brew stand this weekend.  The Ace Hardware down the street can custom cut/thread black iron gas pipe, which is nice.  But I'm not sure what diameter the pipe should be.  I'll be using propane, if that makes a difference.  Any suggestions?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Gas Pipe Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 01:52:05 pm »
I'm going to try to hard plumb the burners on my new brew stand this weekend.  The Ace Hardware down the street can custom cut/thread black iron gas pipe, which is nice.  But I'm not sure what diameter the pipe should be.  I'll be using propane, if that makes a difference.  Any suggestions?

No experience with using propane yet, but I'm looking into getting a Blichmann Top Tier myself and they recommend using 1/2" pipe for the gas manifold. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:54 pm »

No experience with using propane yet, but I'm looking into getting a Blichmann Top Tier myself and they recommend using 1/2" pipe for the gas manifold.

1/2" is what I was thinking.  I think it's probably safe to trust Blichmann's recommendation.  Thanks!
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
When I replumbed my old system from jet burners to banjo burners I had a great deal of difficulty finding and configuring from 1/2 npt to whatever the burners took - I think they were 3/8 flare fittings.  So looking at your burners and going backwards from there would be my advice.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39:10 pm »
When I replumbed my old system from jet burners to banjo burners I had a great deal of difficulty finding and configuring from 1/2 npt to whatever the burners took - I think they were 3/8 flare fittings.  So looking at your burners and going backwards from there would be my advice.

Ah, good point.  I'll be using banjo burners.  But couldn't I just get a 1/4" x 1/2" flare to replace the one that comes with the banjo burner (which I think is 1/4" x 3/8")? 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 04:21:13 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 02:54:09 pm »
Any chance you will ever go natural gas?  If so, you may want to go bigger.  Also, will the plumbing be supporting the burners or will you have those bolted into your wind screens?
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 03:08:25 pm »
Any chance you will ever go natural gas?  If so, you may want to go bigger.  Also, will the plumbing be supporting the burners or will you have those bolted into your wind screens?

I highly doubt that I'll go natural gas someday, but I guess I won't say "never."  The burners will be bolted to the wind screens, so no worries about whether the pipes would be strong enough to support them.  I'll most likely run flexible gas tubing from the black pipe manifold to the individual burners.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »
I was able to get most of the plumbing put together over the weekend.  But as I was putting the manifold together I started to wonder whether it will be an issue that I'm going from 3/8" ID propane hose (out from the tank) to 1/2" ID rigid black steel tubing to 1/2" ID flexible propane tubing (into the burners).  Is it possible that this configuration would cause too much stress/pressure on any particular part of the manifold?  I'm mostly referring to the fact that I'm going from 3/8" tubing to 1/2" tubing.  I don't know much about gas plumbing and I don't want to get blowed up!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:24:24 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:15:26 am »
It shouldn't matter. In theory you should go from larger to smaller diameter pipe especially if it will be splitting off but I think with high pressure LP the orifices will have overall control of the flow.

With my low pressure NG system I went from 1" to 1/2" which I worried would choke down the flow but the ring burners perform just fine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:19:09 am »
I used 1/2" on my rig as well. The step down shouldn't be an issue. Are you going high pressure or low pressure LP/NG?
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
I went from 1/2" black pipe to 1/4" needle valve back up to 3/4" black pipe on (2) 32 jet, burners im using a 10Lb regulator and they seem to burn just great.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 04:18:11 pm by bazowie »
In dog beers I've had 1