Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One Week Fermentation = Mistake?  (Read 10226 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: One Week Fermentation = Mistake?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:21 pm »
Thanks to both of you.  I think this is the biggest hole in my understanding about brewing.  By taste, do you mean the abscence of diacetyl, etc.?  Or is it more that it doesn't taste like fermenting wort anymore and more like beer?

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
What I mean is that it tastes like something you'd want to drink.  Yeah, it's pretty subjective.  Start with that criterion, then take into account things that you know will age out or be removed, like diacetyl.  You'll learn as you brew more.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 02:48:00 pm »
It takes practice. A lot of practice and a few stinkers here and there to "educate" oneself. Despite other's advice I've, uh... tried various approaches and experiments and pretty much have figured out what works and what doesn't. Had to learn the hard way.

It does help to have a Carbonator cap. That way one can carb up a sample to see what it will actually taste like carbonated. I may be in a minority in this but have spigots installed in all my fermenters. This gives me the ability to draw off samples whenever I like, which is particularly useful when trying new yeast, temperatures and recipes. Again, once I've establish how things will behave I won't fiddle with the beer and leave it to do it's thang.

And quite certainly the brewer can have their beer ready to be drunk in less than a week. Just takes skill, knowledge and the right approach and criteria.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis