Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HERMS vs RIMS  (Read 30445 times)

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
Re: HERMS vs RIMS
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:50 am »
Design the wiring so there's no current going to the heat element unless the pump is running. additionally a flow rate alarm like Blichmann's TOP prevents scorching should you get a stuck mash.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:08 am »
Design the wiring so there's no current going to the heat element unless the pump is running. additionally a flow rate alarm like Blichmann's TOP prevents scorching should you get a stuck mash.

That's a great idea!  I'll try and find the product from Blichmann.

Thanks.

Offline skepace

• Cellarman
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
That TOP is great but way out of my price range.  I'll have to figure out something else.

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 06:53:24 am »
Yeah, TOP is a little spendy; I just want the flow rate/ alarm but dont know where to find one.
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 08:54:25 am »
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:19 am »
For what it's worth I like my RIMS better than the HERMS I built and played with in the past. For me it is less wort in process, the HLT stays separate and I can be heating water or doing other things instead of using it to maintain mash and sparge temps, and it is easy to control. Wort scorching just won't happen unless the flow stops for a very long time, and that is rare and can be eliminated with a sensor if you want. If your RIMS tube is on a controller it isn't going to instantly overheat if the flow stops as the controller will still shut it off at the setpoint. I'm absent minded and have been known to leave it cooking after stopping the flow or kicking off a pump :-) Yeah, I haven't dumb-proofed that on my system yet, but no issues.

I'm using the RIMS tube from Brewer's Hardware and a Ranco controller, running it on 120v at the moment. Later will be 240v when I fully automate and add electric to the kettle and HLT. I will still keep the propane burners for a backup, and when I need to do long, carmelizing boils that I hear electric breweries just don't get done properly.