Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrewing Hobby Survey  (Read 8872 times)

Offline mrl115

• 1st Kit
Homebrewing Hobby Survey
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:56:33 am »
Hello, Homebrewing Hobbyists!

We need your help with a new National Science Foundation sponsored research study that will investigate the characteristics and educational experiences of people who are active in science hobbies. More and more people are engaging in science hobbies; schools and science centers would like to know more about the characteristics of science hobbyists and how these organizations might better support hobbyists’ networking and education.

What will happen if you take part in the study?

The information gained from this research can help science educators and researchers understand how to better teach science in schools and museums, and how to design better community-based science programs. Participation in this study is voluntary. Information you provide will be anonymous. If you complete the survey, you may elect to enter a drawing for a $100 Target gift card.

Please read the consent letter below and when you are ready to complete the survey click on this link
Survey Link: http://ncsu.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_7OOsR9G0Pkp5I2N

I really hope that you are able to help us in this research study.  Your responses are valuable and we would love to hear your story!

Thank you so much,

Megan Leagon
Research Assistant

North Carolina State University
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics Education

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Homebrewing Hobby Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:18:15 pm »
This was a well put together survey.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline WDE97

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lewiston, ID
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »
Interesting survey. Megan, I forwarded the link on to my coworkers. Hopefully a few of them will help you out.
Robert H.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.    - Steven Wright

On tap: Strong Scotch Ale, RIS, ESB, Saison.

Fermenting: Belgian Dark Strong, Kolsch.

Up next: Bock, NEIPA, Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:27:20 pm »
Are home brewers scientists?

While I consider myself a scientist, it is not because I have a home-brewing hobby.

However, I submitted my information
because I just took hydrometer readings on three carboys. :)

Cheers to your work.

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:22:58 am »

While I consider myself a scientist, it is not because I have a home-brewing hobby.

However, I submitted my information
because I just took hydrometer readings on three carboys. :)

Cheers to your work.

I would say that homebrewers are scientists, because they utilize science in every batch, and learn about science in order to improve their craft.

I would also say that many homebrewers are mad scientists ::)

Great survey, BTW!

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:15:51 am »

I would say that homebrewers are scientists, because they utilize science in every batch, and learn about science in order to improve their craft.
Wouldn't that make us technicians? 

I think of scientists are people that use the scientific method to answer questions (hypothesis->experiment->observations->conclusions), so Kai and Sean would qualify.  I suppose we all brew a batch, decide if we like it, form an hypothesis about what we could do to make it better, make it, then observe if it really was better.  That seems like it would qualify us as scientists.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 01:03:26 pm »
call me paranoid but this survey is funded by the National Science Foundation, A fed govt agency. Sorry but I don't trust the govt enough to give out this kind of information... I don't see the need to go blindly into any survey that pops up asking about homebrewing...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:28:44 pm »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
Homebrewing Hobby Survey
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 04:47:53 pm »
call me paranoid but this survey is funded by the National Science Foundation, A fed govt agency. Sorry but I don't trust the govt enough to give out this kind of information... I don't see the need to go blindly into any survey that pops up asking about homebrewing...

They're not collecting any personally identifiable information (other than your email address, and only then if you want to a shot at the gift card) or really anything else they couldn't get from posts to this forum if they tried hard enough.  So I think you're safe.

Signed,
A Fellow Paranoid

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:39:54 am »
Ah, yes, the National Science Foundation. Brainwashing us with government propaganda through their insidious IMAX films, episodes of NOVA, and geological kiosks at the grand canyon.

;) ;D
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline jlo

• Cellarman
Homebrewing Hobby Survey
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 06:45:26 am »
In search of great beer I have learned about water chemistry, yeast biology and lots about heat exchangers.

Now I have questions that aren't easily looked up online.  How do I get answers to questions that don't yet have any answers?  I think I might know what happens, but how could I know for sure? 

It sure feels like I'm on the edge of science.  Now to see if curiosity pushes me over the edge...

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:10 am »
I think of scientists are people that use the scientific method to answer questions (hypothesis->experiment->observations->conclusions), so Kai and Sean would qualify.

Hehehehe, that's what laymen think about the inner workings of research. It's very different on the inside :)
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 07:09:09 am »
call me paranoid

You're paranoid.

Far worse info is available for purchase from marketing companies - even if you don't think it is.  Anyway, researchers rarely turn their data over to funding agencies.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 07:11:06 am »
I tried but since I don't live in a state, it wouldn't let me past the first page.