Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A few questions for Homebrewers Association Forum Members!  (Read 1756 times)

madalyce

A few questions for Homebrewers Association Forum Members!
« on: November 12, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »
Hi everyone!

My name is Madeleine Apol and I am new to the American Homebrewers Association. I am a college student writing a community study of the forum for a composition class and I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to respond :)

1. What do you gain from being a part of this online community?

2. How did you determine the etiquette (what to post where) of posting?

3. Do some people use the forum in ways that you do not? What do you think of this usage?

4. How do you feel this community fosters inclusion?

If you are uncomfortable posting directly on the thread, my email is madeleine_apol@hotmail.com. Any responses will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks much,
Madeleine

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: A few questions for Homebrewers Association Forum Members!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

My name is Madeleine Apol and I am new to the American Homebrewers Association. I am a college student writing a community study of the forum for a composition class and I have a few questions for anyone who is willing to respond :)

The first and most important gain is knowledge. There are a lot of brilliant and insightful folks on here who are ready and willing to share their knowledge and insight. But the community itself is also invaluable. being able to discuss a passion with others who share that passion is also invaluable.

I think I read the 'rules' when I first started to post, but for the most part I have picked up the etiquette through osmosis.

3. Do some people use the forum in ways that you do not? What do you think of this usage?
Not sure what you are asking here. I will say this forum has far more focus on brewing, food, and the enjoyment of life than others I have looked at. The mods make an heroic effort to keep it that way and I for one appreciate that so much. Some folks insist on posting about how they cook meat which as a vegetarian is just totally offe... oh I can't even sustain it in writing. I even like reading about adventures in meat.

Very well. Over and over I see new brewers or new posters supported and given respect, knowledge, and advice.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 03:50:51 pm »
Hi everyone!

As stated knowledge and the ability to interact with like minded people pursuing common interests.

AS you peruse the forums you get a general feel for how things work. If you ever have a question, going through the general posting guidelines is a good idea and if you are really off base someone will help you out

Every now and then someone or something comes along that is either not appropriate or put in the wrong place. In cases like this the Moderators will come along and either relocate the post or ban the user in a worst case scenario

The overall brewing community from professional brewers to brand new brewers is one of the most open and friendly community I have ever been a part of. There are many talented people out there willing to help answer even the most repeated questions and really take the time to ensure one's success. It is a lot of fun to just be able to sit down and either get help or provide help or even just peruse and learn

Good luck to you and the ongoing adventure

If you are uncomfortable posting directly on the thread, my email is madeleine_apol@hotmail.com. Any responses will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks much,
Madeleine
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

madalyce

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 04:28:47 pm »
Thank you all very much for your contributions! I have become very fond of this community and think that I will be giving brewing a try sometime soon :)

Best of luck to all.