Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/2 Edition  (Read 10661 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/2 Edition
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:58 pm »
I'm heating the strike water for 10 gallons of porter.  I'll soak 2 vanilla beans in 1/2 cup of Makers Mark, when the beer is ready to keg the bourbon goes in one keg, the other keg will be plain porter.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »
Brewed Saison D'Hiver yesterday, and it is happily bubbling away. Just got my shipment from Fresh Hops in, so I'm going to brew a Mosaic Pale Ale tomorrow, and then hopefully get my Dry Stout in on Sunday.
Kyle M.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 10:22:22 am »
After a hiatus from brewing for over a month, the sparge water is currently heating for my IPA with Nugget, Columbus, and Zythos hops.  Homebrew shop was out of Simcoe and Amarillo, so I changed on the fly but I think this is going to be better.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
What's Brewing This Weekend - 11/2 Edition
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2012, 11:40:42 am »
Special Bitter.  Considering adding tart cherries to half the batch because it seems like an unusual thing to do.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2012, 01:08:56 pm »
Special Bitter.  Considering adding tart cherries to half the batch because it seems like an unusual thing to do.
You would be correct.  Tart cherries in a Special Bitter is unusual.  I can't remember ever having one.
I am also brewing a Special Bitter - Version 3 of Timothy Taylor Landlord Bitter.  I collected way too much wort from the mash tun and will be boiling for a bit longer than I anticipated.
I am implementing a trick from Gordon Strong's book by mashing all of the pale (Golden Promise) malt and setting the pH at the proper level, then capping the mash with specialty malts (crystal 120 and black malt) just before sparging.  Salts went into the kettle along with some dextrose.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2012, 01:33:42 pm »
A bohemian pilsner that is kinda on the light side - I named it "Little BoPils"

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »
You would be correct.  Tart cherries in a Special Bitter is unusual.  I can't remember ever having one.
I am also brewing a Special Bitter - Version 3 of Timothy Taylor Landlord Bitter.  I collected way too much wort from the mash tun and will be boiling for a bit longer than I anticipated.
I am implementing a trick from Gordon Strong's book by mashing all of the pale (Golden Promise) malt and setting the pH at the proper level, then capping the mash with specialty malts (crystal 120 and black malt) just before sparging.  Salts went into the kettle along with some dextrose.

That might be a good trick for that one.

I have a bitter that tastes more British than other I have made. Getting the sulfates up was a big part of that, the pH was set using bunwater, and the extra gypsum was put into the kettle.

Pondering my next TTL clone also.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline twharvey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »
Honey Porter bubbling away in the fermentor.  Last weekend I bottled a dry hopped IPA & a Lagunitas knockoff of 'Censored Ale'.  Looking good going into the holiday season with 6 cases of 22ozs.

Oh yeah and this is my first post in this forum, glad I found this site and joined the Association.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2012, 08:50:24 pm »
Welcome aboard. Cheers.
Mark Gres

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:10 pm »
Loving the forecasted temps coming up...a lager without assistance of refrigeration may be tried for the fun of it this coming weekend.  Just need a spot in the garage and some foam board and duct tape....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"