Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch Sparging on a Single-Tier System  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Batch Sparging on a Single-Tier System
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:26 am »
I'll be starting to brew on a single-tier stand in the near future and would like to continue to batch sparge.  All of the liquid will be transferred via my march pump.  For mash in, I am going to transfer my hot liquor to the cooler mash tun via the ball valve I have going into the cooler.  Could I do the same thing for the sparge?  Or would it be better to just run the hose into the top of the cooler and let it flow on top of the grain?  I realize this would be dangerously close to fly sparging. :P

Also, with batch sparging, how important is it to add all of the sparge water at once?
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Batch Sparging on a Single-Tier System
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »
  Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I have also wondered about batch sparging on a single tier, with a pump.
It never made much sense to me. If you have to pump the water into the mash tun it would seem to me you might as well fly sparge? I am sure somebody will tell me why I am wrong ?
Dan S. from NJ

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
Batch Sparging on a Single-Tier System
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »
I watched a video of a gentleman pumping from the hot liquor tank into the outlet valve so he was pumping up.

He said it worked well and mixed the mash while he was pumping in. He then switched the hoses around so he could pull wort from the bottom and pump back on top to settle the grain bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:23 pm »
  Sorry, I don't have an answer, but I have also wondered about batch sparging on a single tier, with a pump.
It never made much sense to me. If you have to pump the water into the mash tun it would seem to me you might as well fly sparge? I am sure somebody will tell me why I am wrong ?

I have a single tier, and batch sparge with my one pump.  I think you'd need two pumps to fly sparge; one for sparge water in, one for sparge out.

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:59:24 am »
That's assuming there's a reason you would want to switch to fly sparging.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:29 am »
I watched a video of a gentleman pumping from the hot liquor tank into the outlet valve so he was pumping up.

He said it worked well and mixed the mash while he was pumping in. He then switched the hoses around so he could pull wort from the bottom and pump back on top to settle the grain bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to do that. Filling from the bottom is called underletting.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:07:56 am »
I batch sparge with a pump. In my set up, that just means after I pump the first runnings into the kettle, I pump all the sparge water into the MLT, stir, recirc for a couple minutes to vorlauf, then pump the rest of the wort into the kettle.
Mark Gres

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 09:12:25 am »
Yes, you need two pumps to fly sparge on a single tier stand.  I batch sparge on mine.  If you underlet your sparge water, you are going to disturb the grain bed. But if you stir your mash for batch sparging anyway, that shouldn't matter much.  I have a top port on my MLT with an adjustable return that I place just below the mash bed. I recirculate with the pump, and the return creates a bit of a stirring/whirlpool that seems to mix things up without really disturbing the bed.  With a bazooka screen like I had on my cooler MLT, disturbing the bed wasn't as big of a deal.  But with the false bottom, I'm less inclined to stir things up.  Seems more prone to channeling.  On the other hand, the pump doesn't seem to cause it to compact or stick too easily.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 09:53:00 am »
I'll be starting to brew on a single-tier stand in the near future and would like to continue to batch sparge.  All of the liquid will be transferred via my march pump.  For mash in, I am going to transfer my hot liquor to the cooler mash tun via the ball valve I have going into the cooler.  Could I do the same thing for the sparge?  Or would it be better to just run the hose into the top of the cooler and let it flow on top of the grain?  I realize this would be dangerously close to fly sparging. :P

Also, with batch sparging, how important is it to add all of the sparge water at once?

Sure you can underlet the sparge water, if I understand you correctly.  If you don't add all the sparge water at once, you're not batch sparging, unless you mean multiple sparges becasue your cooler isn't large enough.  In that case, get a bigger cooler.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 07:29:45 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Yes, I meant underletting the sparge water.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial