Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Not sure what to brew  (Read 2857 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Not sure what to brew
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:42:17 pm »
I've got a decent amount of WLP007 ready for a re-pitch (from an APA) and I just can't decide what to brew.  I was thinking of 10 gals of porter and doing 5 as a coffee porter but then I saw that old thread on English IPA's and that got me thinking EIPA.  Or, a bitter.  Or even a wheat.  Now I don't know what to do and I have to brew tomorrow if I want to do it this week. 

What to do...what to do?

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Not sure what to brew
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »
I would brew Mitch's East India Pale ale from the AHA big brew 2011.  Fantastic brew!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:01 am »
I would brew Mitch's East India Pale ale from the AHA big brew 2011.  Fantastic brew!

I looked at it, pretty simple.  Is there any reason I have to use EKG for bittering though?  I'm gonna do a 10 gal batch and I don't have 7 oz of EKG for bittering.  What if I subbed in the same IBUs worth of Magnum and  kept my EKG for later hopping where the character of the hop was more likely to come through.
No crystal?  Just assumed an EIPA would have at least some crystal.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:31:19 am »
not the right yeast, but it would do - what about sister star of the sun:
http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_html/recipes/recipes.html

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:57 am »
You could combine your original porter idea with the EIPA idea (sort of). Knock out 5 gallons first for your coffee porter, then add a flameout charge to the remaining 5 gallons of Fuggle & EKG and hop stand for an hour or so. Then add coffee to the first batch and dry-hop the 2nd. 5 gallons of coffee porter, and 5 of Anglo-Cascadian Black India Dark Ale.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 10:29:52 am »
You could combine your original porter idea with the EIPA idea (sort of). Knock out 5 gallons first for your coffee porter, then add a flameout charge to the remaining 5 gallons of Fuggle & EKG and hop stand for an hour or so. Then add coffee to the first batch and dry-hop the 2nd. 5 gallons of coffee porter, and 5 of Anglo-Cascadian Black India Dark Ale.

So it would be Canadian Anglo-Cascadian Black India Dark Ale?  Interesting...

I just went to get my malt 1/2 an hour ago and found out I have no Maris Otter left.  I have maybe 10 lbs of pale and 10 lbs of Pils so if I used the Pils and a bit of Hallertau, maybe it could be a Canadian Anglo-Cascadian Germanic Black India Dark Ale.  Who do I see for a new style category?

Given this unexpected event, I think I'm gonna end up with some sort of generic blonde ale.  Something to please the masses but disappoint the BJCP.

Wish I had Kolsch yeast ready :(

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 11:17:35 am »

You haven't read his book yet, have you? :P

Most traditional IPAs were simply pale malt and hops.  This recipe was the rough basis for Stone's 14th Anniversary Empirial IPA based on Mitch's research.  Yes, the yeast is not quite the same, but would get you in the ballpark.  At least they are both English strains.  Too be honest I prefer WLP007 over the London Ale III, anyways.  The London Ale III in my experience is a poor flocculator compared to some to the other English strains.  Sometimes simple is good in a beer: single infusion mash, 1 malt, 1 hop, 2 additions.  One of the better SMaSH beers I have made.  Super easy brew day!  I am sure you could sub a different bittering hop in for negligible difference.  Maybe use a higher alpha English hop, like Challenger for bittering, if you have any on hand?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 06:27:31 am »

You haven't read his book yet, have you? :P

Well, I'm sure he hasn't read mine either...

I ended up going with the following 10 gal batch:
18 lbs of Maris Otter (turned out I was out of 2-row, not MO.  Glad I threw the tag into the bag)
2 lbs Pils (cause I only had 18 lbs of Maris Otter)
1 lb C90 - Sorry Mitch
4 oz Northern brewer at 60 (original AA 9% but they'd been in my freezer for a year so I figured 8 at most)
2 oz EKG at 10 (will dry hop with a couple more later).
Mashed at 152 for an hour

Doubt it will win any awards but I'm gonna put it away for a while and see what the long again does for it.