Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 23 Nozzle Jet Burner  (Read 2980 times)

Offline beerbrewinwizard

• 1st Kit
23 Nozzle Jet Burner
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:00 pm »
I got as 23 nozzle propane jet burner on a trade for some old equip. I have been experimenting with it a little. Does anyone know how much LP pressure these things need (20psi 30psi or?). My rig currently uses bayou type banjo burners and they works fine but it would be nice to heat the boil kettle a bit faster. Thanks!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: 23 Nozzle Jet Burner
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:14:30 pm »
I got as 23 nozzle propane jet burner on a trade for some old equip. I have been experimenting with it a little. Does anyone know how much LP pressure these things need (20psi 30psi or?). My rig currently uses bayou type banjo burners and they works fine but it would be nice to heat the boil kettle a bit faster. Thanks!

I have one and use it with whatever pressure the propane tank supplies.  IIRC, if I opened my control valve all the way the burners would blow themselves out.  These burners tend to emit a lot of soot.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:09:37 pm »
I'm not sure about the propane burners, but I have 3 of the 20 tip NG burners.  These burners need a pretty good amount of pressure to function properly.  I supply my stand with 3/4" pipe straight from the meter and go down to 1/2" pipe for the final runs to the burners.  Worked fine with no soot.  But when I installed the 3/8" Blichmann asco valves on my 1/2" pipe, I got a lot more yellow flame (not a lot of soot though).  But restrict them more, i.e. turn the valve down too much, and I got soot like crazy. 

It's a little counter intuitive, since yellow flames and soot are ordinarily indicative of a burner's being run too rich.  But in the case of these burners, they need enough gas pressure for the jets to pull in air at the base of the jet as well as to off set the other jets to get a blue flame.  Without enough pressure, they won't pull in the air and will run rich. 

I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline bazowie

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:25:12 pm »
These are meant to run on 0.5 lbs of pressure but in my experience not well I tried this with my 2 (32) jet burners one worked fine on .5 but to run both I went to 10lbs pressure, this now works fine, never had a soot problem either way.
In dog beers I've had 1