Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody here do Brew in a Bag method?  (Read 4265 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Anybody here do Brew in a Bag method?
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »
I'm looking for some info on this technique for my NHC presentation.  If you've done it, let me know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
Re: Anybody here do Brew in a Bag method?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »
I did it with two beers
I can send you the info over the weekend......recipe, what my normal gravity would have been over what it was with BIAB and anything else I/you can think of.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 02:49:43 pm »
That would be great.  Be sure to let me know how much water you used....that seems to be one thing that most of the writeups don't mention.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:08:27 pm »
That would be great.  Be sure to let me know how much water you used....that seems to be one thing that most of the writeups don't mention.

Your strike/dough in water, is every last drop of water that you will put in the whole batch. Its all the water that would normally go in at strike, all the water for any infusions and all that water that would normally be used to sparge. ALL of it. As an example. in this batch we were looking for a pre-boil volume of 27.3 litres (7.2 gallons) and were using 6.45kg (14.2lb) of grain. So accounting for absorption by the grain, our total water needed was 35litres (9.25gal) and thats how much we mashed in with. The Full Volume.

from: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0/fa

this spreadsheet has some info too:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ar51P4gKYE7wdHJnV1UxZS1kVkZEV19iUFF0U3lZUHc&hl=en
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:13:24 pm by glitterbug »
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »
Thanks, man.  That's what I though, but none of the references I'd found so far confirmed it.

EDIT:  The BN link was what I had looked at before, but just missed the water amount. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:19:09 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:54:55 pm »
I'm usually half in the bag when I'm brewing...does that count?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
I'm usually half in the bag when I'm brewing...does that count?

In the immortal words of Firesign Theater, "Only to 10, Mudhead".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 06:24:27 pm »
For a while, I did a modified version of Brew-in-a-bag. I mashed in a 5 gallon pot with a paint strainer bag. After the mash, I dunked the strainer bag with the grains in another pot as a sparge. I then combined the two and brought it to a boil. This was for 3 gallon all-grain batches. However, it is a nice way for extract brewers to try all grain brewing since the only additional equipment they would need is a paint strainer bag. The technique is essentially the same as the one outlined here at HBT.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:31:40 pm by brewbeard »

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 08:31:28 pm »
That would be great.  Be sure to let me know how much water you used....that seems to be one thing that most of the writeups don't mention.

Your strike/dough in water, is every last drop of water that you will put in the whole batch. Its all the water that would normally go in at strike, all the water for any infusions and all that water that would normally be used to sparge. ALL of it. As an example. in this batch we were looking for a pre-boil volume of 27.3 litres (7.2 gallons) and were using 6.45kg (14.2lb) of grain. So accounting for absorption by the grain, our total water needed was 35litres (9.25gal) and thats how much we mashed in with. The Full Volume.

from: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0/fa

this spreadsheet has some info too:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ar51P4gKYE7wdHJnV1UxZS1kVkZEV19iUFF0U3lZUHc&hl=en

I have brewed 2 batches using the BIAB and have used about 1 gallon less water than what beersmith said and then my pre boil volume come out right because you don't have all the dead spaces to worry about, and I crush my grains finer than usual because you don't have to worry about a stuck sparge.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:36:47 pm by Dbbrewing »

Offline hefevice

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »
I've not tried it myself, but there is a hell of a lot of information and posts from people who have over on the AussieHomebrewer forum. This particular thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=11694&hl=BIAB will give you more information than you can possibly hope for.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »
I did it once for a 3-gallon stove-top batch for our club's strange brew competition.  It worked fine, was fun to try, and I might do it again for small or experimental batches.  I got much lower efficiency than I do when I batch sparge - 60-65% vs. 80-85%.  I used the same kind of paint strainer bag that I use as a hop bag in my brew kettle.  The trickiest parts were stirring at mash-in, and removing the bag at the end of the mash without making a big mess in the kitchen.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline brewbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:42:30 pm »
I did it once for a 3-gallon stove-top batch for our club's strange brew competition.  It worked fine, was fun to try, and I might do it again for small or experimental batches.  I got much lower efficiency than I do when I batch sparge - 60-65% vs. 80-85%.  I used the same kind of paint strainer bag that I use as a hop bag in my brew kettle.  The trickiest parts were stirring at mash-in, and removing the bag at the end of the mash without making a big mess in the kitchen.

That is actually one of the reasons I went ahead and built a 5 gallon mashtun for my 3 gallon batches. When using a paint strainer bag with a stovetop mash, I would make a big mess moving the paint strainer bag to another pot to sparge. Dumping out the grains was also a mess. Since I brew in my kitchen, I also didn't like having grains flying around there since they are covered in bacteria and wild yeasts that can cause infection.

The other reason is that the pot lost too much heat during the mash. I would usually need to heat it up again in the middle. Now I usually lose less than a degree with my cooler mash tun.