Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pulleys  (Read 7382 times)

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
Pulleys
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:10 am »
I'm looking to install a pulley system to lift my carboys to drop into my chest freezer.  I was even thinking about something that is motorized if I can find something for the right price.  Any advice or recommendations?

coastsidemike

Re: Pulleys
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »
garage door opener comes to mind. 

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »
This is not an answer to your question but, if the issue is lifting the full carboy into the freezer, why not put the empty carboy into the freezer and then pump the wort in?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »
This is not an answer to your question but, if the issue is lifting the full carboy into the freezer, why not put the empty carboy into the freezer and then pump the wort in?
My word! That's just crazy enough to work.

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »
How about a hand winch?  http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-strap-winch-95541.html

I don't have one myself but after seeing this I may buy one.  The winch appears to be on a ratchet, so you wouldn't need overhead space.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 09:30:02 am »
How about a hand winch?  http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-strap-winch-95541.html

I don't have one myself but after seeing this I may buy one.  The winch appears to be on a ratchet, so you wouldn't need overhead space.

That could work.  And it would also be flexible enough that you could move it around the brewery as well.  Thanks!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 09:49:12 am »

That could work.  And it would also be flexible enough that you could move it around the brewery as well.  Thanks!

How are you going to attach the carboy?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 10:53:23 am »
How are you going to attach the carboy?

While I plan on using mine for my kegs, for a carboy I would use a plastic milk crate (like the ones that say "Thou Shalt Not Steal" on them, although Wally World probably sells them).  With one hand steadying the carboy the other would be ratcheting the winch.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline fatdogale

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 02:50:25 pm »
While I plan on using mine for my kegs, for a carboy I would use a plastic milk crate (like the ones that say "Thou Shalt Not Steal" on them, although Wally World probably sells them).  With one hand steadying the carboy the other would be ratcheting the winch.

I can't tell if it's reversible - it might be difficult lowering a full carboy (or keg) down into the freezer.
John Childs

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:53:21 pm »
I bought a chest freezer about a year ago when they were on-sale and fits 2 carboys nicely. About 2 months ago I finally had a reason to use it to do a double batch of a lager that a buddy wanted to try. About an hour before the end of the boil we set the temp on the Johnson Controller that was going to control the freezer, then put the sanitized carboys in the freezer. After wort finished chilling down in the boil kettle wheeled the brew station over to the freezer and transferred right into the two carboys sitting in the freezer.  Worked great.   
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:38:22 pm »
I bought a chest freezer about a year ago when they were on-sale and fits 2 carboys nicely. About 2 months ago I finally had a reason to use it to do a double batch of a lager that a buddy wanted to try. About an hour before the end of the boil we set the temp on the Johnson Controller that was going to control the freezer, then put the sanitized carboys in the freezer. After wort finished chilling down in the boil kettle wheeled the brew station over to the freezer and transferred right into the two carboys sitting in the freezer.  Worked great.

That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily.  I started thinking about this after reading the current issue of BYO and saw John Blichmann's home brewery and noticed a pulley system hanging from the ceiling.  It wasn't mentioned in the article, but man would I like one of those!

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:06:45 am »
That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily. 

You could use CO2 to push the beer out of the carboy into a keg that's outside the chest freezer.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 05:17:10 am »
The strap winch in the link doesn't have a controller release.  When you trigger the release it just lets go.

You might be able to use something like this to control both the lift and the release.  http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-capacity-geared-winch-5798.html

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline AleForce

• Cellarman
    • AleForce1
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 05:31:13 am »
@ MACBREW - "That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily. "  Definitely agree with on that. At some point I hope to be able to incorporate something like what your talking about.  Maybe something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html .. 
Off We Go Into The Wild Brew Yonder!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:36:36 am »
@ MACBREW - "That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily. "  Definitely agree with on that. At some point I hope to be able to incorporate something like what your talking about.  Maybe something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html ..

That is what I was thinking. Something like a come-a-long does not release in a controlled fashion. If the Electric hoist moves on a track, that allows you to get over the chest freezer without having to puch pull on the carboy.

One way to hold the carboy would a brew hauler with some extension on the straps.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/the-brew-hauler.html
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!