Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pulleys  (Read 7383 times)

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Pulleys
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:09:34 am »
I have a hand winch on my brew stand to lift a 10 gallon mash tun.  You can see pictures here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimmy.Kroon/BrewensteinABrewingMonster

The winch is similar to this one - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395356_200395356

It has a low capacity and the lowest (weakest) gear ratio available (3.1:1) so it lifts faster. Even with 10 gallons of water winching it up is no problem. It has no reverse, but it is also not a problem to release the lock and lower it down manually. Sure - if I let go of the handle it would slam down, but there just isn't much pressure on the crank to be worried.

I'm not sure I would want to steady a carboy with one hand and winch with the other though. I'd attach the rope to the handles of a Brew Hauler or attach to the milk crate at three points for stability.  If the winch goes to a pulley that is high up, pushing it over to lower it into the freezer shouldn't be a problem.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:00 am »
@ MACBREW - "That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily. "  Definitely agree with on that. At some point I hope to be able to incorporate something like what your talking about.  Maybe something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html ..

I thought about recommending that one but thought the hand crank version was more affordable.  In my house, if I had the room for this type of thing, I would put in the electric one.  But I tend to over build everything.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 09:12:42 am »
Do those hand winches release slowly? The racheting system I'm envisioning for those (having not actually used one, so I'm picturing something related to those ratcheting tie-downs) would work well for lifting but wouldn't lower in a gentle and controlled manner. Also, I personally wouldn't mess with garage door opener springs.  So honestly, if anything I'd probably stay low-tech and do a simple pulley or a small block and tackle attached to the milk crate or whatever you use to cradle your carboy.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:08 am »
i used to have hand winches on the boat trailers that were no problem releasing slowly. i would probably still put in a pulley system to modify the angle and reduce the rope tension some. i would also switch to better bottles over glass just in case.
Don AHA member

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:29:24 am »
i used to have hand winches on the boat trailers that were no problem releasing slowly. i would probably still put in a pulley system to modify the angle and reduce the rope tension some. i would also switch to better bottles over glass just in case.
My thinking is that boats aren't being lowered straight downward, and aren't made of glass. Though they are much heavier...  I'd be all for using the winch if I were using better bottles.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:25 am »
@ MACBREW - "That solves the problem of getting them in, but with a progressive back issue, I want to get them out just as easily. "  Definitely agree with on that. At some point I hope to be able to incorporate something like what your talking about.  Maybe something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-440-lb-capacity-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-40765.html ..

Thanks, that is really what I am looking for. I appreciate everyone's input!

Mac

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:46 am »
My thinking is that boats aren't being lowered straight downward, and aren't made of glass. Though they are much heavier...  I'd be all for using the winch if I were using better bottles.
hence why i recommend a pulley and changing the angle, not so fond of glass either ::)
Don AHA member