Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pitching yeast when bottling?  (Read 2352 times)

Offline bassface74

• Cellarman
Pitching yeast when bottling?
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:53:50 am »
Is it a good or bad idea to pitch a little yeast in the bottling bucket before actually bottling?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Pitching yeast when bottling?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:26:01 am »
99%  of the time, it's unnecessary.  I only consider it for beers over maybe 1.085-1.090 and that have been in secondary for more than a few months.  I guess it couldn't hurt, but you really should have to for any "average" beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:26:19 am »
99%  of the time, it's unnecessary.  I only consider it for beers over maybe 1.085-1.090 and that have been in secondary for more than a few months.  I guess it couldn't hurt, but you really should have to for any "average" beer.

What about beers that have been lagered for a month?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:37:33 am »

What about beers that have been lagered for a month?

I've never found it necessary in that situation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bboy9000

• Brewmaster
  • KCMO
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
I'm getting ready to bottle a couple of lagers that fermnted for a month then lagered for three months.  A friend suggested I should consider pitching some yeast when bottling.  He pitched 2-3g of yeast for 5 gallons of pilsner that tasted great so I was thinking about 1.5g of yeast for a 2.5 gallon batch of a lager.  This is my first lager beer.  Is pitching yeast when bottling necessary after Lagering for this long?  Sorry to revive such an old thread, but a after a quick search this was the most relevant information I found.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:58:03 am »
It would probably be fine without but if it were me I'd pitch some just to be on the safe side after 3 months.
Clint
Wort Hogs