General Category > All Grain Brewing

current probleim

(1/1)

bugbeer:
im currently making a brew that requires alot of grain, thr problem is while steeping the grain has absorbed a bumch of water. Should i add more water or is there an easier way to recover the water from the grain bag

hokerer:

--- Quote from: bugbeer on February 21, 2010, 03:25:17 PM ---im currently making a brew that requires alot of grain, thr problem is while steeping the grain has absorbed a bumch of water. Should i add more water or is there an easier way to recover the water from the grain bag

--- End quote ---

Adding more water is fine - you can usually figure each pound of grain will absorb slighly over one-tenth of a gallon of water.  You don't want to squeeze the grain bag as there's a concern that you could force unwanted thingies (ie. tannins) out of the grain and into your brew.

bugbeer:
thanks for the info we are still new to brewing and freak out over certain things

wilypig:
Make sure you rinse with plenty of warm water (<160) water over your grain bag. I found that when I was using grains in a bag a larger bag for plenty of room for the grain to get wet and a large colander for rinsing worked best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version