Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How Long is Too Long?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
How Long is Too Long?
« on: November 10, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »
I was pulled away from my brew last night to go out.  I finished the boil and left out the kettle, covered, in the garage at 45F.  When I got home, I transferred it to my chest freezer at 43F and this afternoon the wort was down to 66F.  It will probably take a few more hours for it to get down to ~48F so I can pitch the yeast. 

So, if covered in my chest freezer, how long is too long before pitching the yeast? 

As always, thanks in advance. 

Dave

Edit:  700B split in two fermenters 350B+ each...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:15:28 pm by davidgzach »
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: How Long is Too Long?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »
There is no exact answer but you should be fine. Maybe up to a couple days if you didn't lift the lid.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:20:32 pm »
There is no exact answer but you should be fine. Maybe up to a couple days if you didn't lift the lid.

I opened the lid to aerate about an hour ago and two other times to take the temperature.  It's only down to 63F now, but I remembered that I had two large iced tea containers with frozen water in my freezer.  Your trick Euge!  Your post reminded me, thanks!   8)

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:32:37 pm »
You are most welcome! Hope it works well for you. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »
You are most welcome! Hope it works well for you. :D

Got it down to 54F in a little over an hour.  Had to transfer and pitch as we are going out to dinner.  I figure 54F down to 51F is not going to hurt much, especially since I pitched over 700B cells......

Good technique!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline ajk

• Brewer
  • Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)
How Long is Too Long?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 11:49:11 am »
It depends how clean your wort is.  I once had to leave some wort sitting at room temperature for days while I replaced a chest freezer (it was a lager and I didn't want to pitch too warm).  No infection.  Some bacteria can be slow to take hold, though, so if it seems okay after fermentation, keep it cold and drink it fast. :-)